Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Friday, December 01, 2006

Waiting....waiting....



waiting.... Waiting for ALABAMA to choose its next football coach.

And while we are waiting, there are people who are -- watching flight plans to and from the local airport in Tuscaloosa, listing tail numbers for UA planes so others can help watch flight plans, camping out at the airport, and sharing info such as this: "All flights that are flying under an Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) plan are tracked when they are in controlled airspace. Some flights can be made under Visual Flight Rules (VFR). Those are not tracked by the FAA (though the FAA does have control over them).

Jets and most turbo prop aircraft fly under IFR plans, almost exclusively.

Taking a VFR flight in a high profile coaching search would raise more suspicion than it would avoid." ......(This answer was in response to the statement that some of BAMA's planes could not be tracked. This little fact really upset some of the faithful.) :)



So, in the spirit of things (you see, I'm way caught up in it also), a little inspirational reading below....


"I left Texas A&M because my school called me. Mama called, and when Mama calls, then you just have to come running." — Bear Bryant commenting on why he quit A&M to come home to BAMA


"To have been in the city of Tuscaloosa in October when you were young and full of Early Times and had a shining Alabama girl by your side -to have had all that and then to have seen those red shirts pour onto the field, and, then, coming behind them, with that inexorable big cat walk of his, the man himself, The Bear -that was very good indeed" - Howell Raines


"Down here, you're not born a boy or a girl, you're born a Gamecock or Tiger. Down here, football is just as entrenched in our culture as Jesus, sweet tea and barbeque sandwiches. We say "Yes Ma'm" and "No Sir", but we also say "Roll Tide", "War Eagle" and "Pig Sooey". Down here two plus two equals third down and six."
--Georgia Heisman Trophy Winner Frank Sinkwich


"I guess I'm just too full of 'Bama." -Tommy Lewis, explaining why he charged, bareheaded, off the bench to tackle Rices' Dick Moegle who was on his way to a 95 yard TD run in the 1954 Cotton Bowl.


"You never know what a football player is made of until he plays against Alabama." -Former Tennessee Coach Bob Neyland.


"Well Eli, Smokey just came out of the tunnel, and he's about 100 yards away from me now, and if I had my deer rifle I believe I could drop him, back to you Eli" -- Jerry Duncan's comments to Eli Gold just prior to kickoff against Tennessee.


Jerry Duncan on the sideline in Knoxville in '94: "Well, Eli, these Tennessee folks are really giving it to our boys down here, they hate us. But, by God, I hate them too. Back to you, Eli."


"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise. On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction. In the Midwest, it is cannibalism. But in the South, it is religion and Saturday is the Holy Day."


At times like these, I sure as hell miss home.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Amazing how Football seizes you! I wish I had something I was so passionate about!

6:21 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

Hi Deb....I think the reasons I love football are more than I'm aware of. I grew up with a dad that was a BAMA fanatic. It was one of the few ways he and I related -- I think.

He and I never talked much, but when I moved away from home I could count on him to call during BAMA (and later on during LSU) football games. I can still hear him when I would answer the phone saying, "Girl....what in the hell is going to happen in this game?".

And then we'd proceed to dissect the game. We'd talk like he talked with my brothers.

Add that to the fact that I'm not a very aggressive person, but when it comes to football....all hold are barred!

I *allow* myself to be mean, think mean thoughs about the opposing coach (and team). All the while feeling in control of my aggression. Knowing that I'm just having some fun *hating* the role they are playing -- not the people themselves because I don't know the people themselves.

Well....more than you asked for probably.

Thanks for stopping by tho....

1:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home