Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"I used to care......



but I take a pill for that now."


I recently saw that saying on a t-shirt and couldn't help laughing out loud.
....Which brings to mind a conversation/debate/argument I had last weekend with a friend. He and I both are suspicious of popping pills for "this" or "that." Be strong -- we tell each other. Get your mind right -- is another favorite saying.

That's well and fine for us, but once he started implying that everyone should follow the same philosophy -- I had to disagree. He thinks, in general, that people are being prescribed too many pills to act as crutches, much too easily. He thinks it's not good because it starts a vicious cycle -- pop a pill for [fill-in-the-blank] (so you don't have to deal with it), and then something else surfaces that you need another pill for, and then you can have side effects for which you need even more pills....

I can see where this might be so, but I feel that a person's actions shouldn't be judged so quickly or generally. We can't get inside another person and feel what he or she is feeling. Let them deal with it -- along with a trained professional.

I think we all are blessed in different ways. I don't take much medicine -- don't like to. But when I finally do take an aspirin and realize how much better I can feel, I wonder why I didn't take one sooner. But....even then, nothing changes. I'm no more apt to take anything for relief quicker the next time I'm not feeling well. My husband says I'm trying to prove I'm tuff because I was raised in a houseful of males. I think it's more likely that I might not feel pain and discomfort as acutely as some.

I know someone who can plan (and execute) a party for any number of people at a moment's notice. Me? The thought of having two people over causes me to freeze up and reach for the phone to order out. The friend I'm talking about has a pill for everything. Wait a minute....maybe that's why she can do the things she does????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home