Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Breaking and Entering



I was reading a blog post from a site that is wonderfully helpful to me. (Google "Dr Deb" and you'll see what I mean.) Dr Deb was a crime victim this week. She is safe -- which is the main concern. Her words gave me much food for thought. I have made some changes in my life.

Since the storm, life in my city has changed. In the last few months, the changes have reached my neighborhood. Crimes such as armed robberies are being reported too close to where I live. Growing up in a larger city, I learned to be careful, but since moving to Baton Rouge I've become lax. Lately, I've been impressed to be more careful. I started doing just that today.

The city my daughter and one of my sons live in while in school -- along with two roommates -- has changed also. In fact, all the gulf states have changed since the storm. The neighborhood my daughter, son, and their roommates were living in at the time of the storm changed so much, so quickly, they had to move. They were blessed to be able to pool their resources and buy a house in one of the better areas of the city they live in -- a brand spanking new house.

My daughter's (A's) graduate work is in forensics, and criminal justice. Since she began studying these areas, she has become paranoid very careful. She insisted they have an alarm system installed before they moved in, and they have good locks and dead bolts on all the doors and windows. They have two dogs outside who are very good watch dogs. I felt good about their safety.

Imagine my surprise (and horror) a few weeks ago when my son called to tell me someone had broken into their house. Their alarm went off one bright, sunny morning while they were upstairs, and when they went to check on it, they heard the blinds on a bedroom door rattling. When they looked they saw a foot stepping inside the door. They shouted to call the police and the guy took off across the backyard. The kids ran to the front door and saw him running so they had an idea of what he looked like -- his hair style stood out.

The police came quickly and took it very seriously. Whoever broke in must have had a key. When the house was being built, the builder had told the kids that whenever they wanted to come check on something they could always use the key he left in the garage for the contractors' use. They never thought about it, but the police figured there must have been at least 12 keys unaccounted for. The police told them to change their locks that night, took the description, and started searching. If they found anyone fitting the description, the police said they would search them for a key and come see if it fit.

The police didn't find anyone that day. About three weeks later, the same guy -- on another bright, sunny day, around lunch, tried to just run into the front door. I guess he though he would knock it down and come right on in. (!!)

The police, once again, came immediately, and this time they loaded the kids into their squad car and asked if they would try and identify someone. The police drove up to a house where this guy was sitting on the porch along with some friends. The kids told the police that he was the one.

It ended up that the this guy already had a court date set for the next week. He was being tried for stealing a motorcycle from a house four doors up from the kids.

The police took the kids home, and came back later that day to tell A they had talked to the guy and let him know they were on to him. Not that it made much difference. He's a juvenile and thinks he has it all figured out. He lives with his grandmother and she has told the police that she would help them in any way she could because she can't control him.

The kids haven't been able to find out what happened during the trial, but they've talked to neighbors and everyone is looking out for everyone else.

I don't think things happen by accident. I think there is a purpose to everything -- if we just look hard enough. I'm grateful to Dr Deb for sharing her story. That was what it took to make me get my rear in gear and change some things.

Today, instead of carrying my usual suitcase of a purse containg my life, I had my grab and go small bag ready when I walked out the door. I even locked the dead bolt. I felt much better (and safer) as I was gadding about town today.

May I suggest that you think about what's going on in your life. If there are messages/warnings all around you, attempting to capture your attention -- listen.

1 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

Wise words lady. I too read Dr. Deb's blog and was completely shocked. The robber was so brazen - it was really bothered me. I better start being safer myself.

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home