Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Area code wars......



It started last school year, mostly in middle schools, and is continuing this year.... area code wars. The 225's and the 504's are going at it hot and heavy. Such an odd thing to me. Katrina evacs from New Orleans (area code 504) and our Baton Rouge home-boys (area code 225)are beating the hell out of each other -- at school and at home. We had a near riot situation in one neighborhood last week. Our mayor has said that what he fears most is a riot that our police department won't be able to handle.

I just can't help wondering how the area codes became the defining factor. Okay, originally, BR and NOLA shared the 504 area code. When a new area code was needed, there was fierce competition :) between the two cities to keep the old area code. (We fight over such important things down this way.) Alas, and of course, NOLA won, and we in BR were pretty upset and said nasty things about New Orleans. But that was not unusual. I just can't believe these kids are old enough to remember that. And....I can't believe they are well-informed enough to even know of the dispute.

One thing I do know is that there is so much anger around here and it's so frickin' hot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home