Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Friday, July 14, 2006

The Quintessential Southern Movie......



I saw it last night: "A Love Song for Bobby Long" (based on the book "Off Magazine Street" by Ronald Everett Capps)

Oh, I luved it! It had allllllll these shots of pre-Katrina New Orleans and it was so beautifully NOLA tacky. It was full of degenerate Southern stereotypes. Did I mention how much I loved it?

Now the question is why did I love it so much. The areas of New Orleans shown were not ones where I would have felt safe. The characters were tragically flawed. I couldn't truly relate to them.

But, in spite of all that, the movie gave me warm-fuzzy feelings. Why do Southerners love people and places that are so monumentally flawed?

2 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

You sold me. I wonder if that movie is up here in NYC. What an interesting quesion you pose about Southerners...what do you think?

8:32 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

I bet you could find it to rent. You'd get to see a slice of the real NOLA -- and then you might join those who wonder what in the hell was so special about it. But it was in it's own odd way.

Ummm.... as far as the 'southern thang,' I think it's because we suffered a great defeat, live in a conquered land, and just won't MOVE ON! To hear my husband and sons at the dinner table on any given Sunday, you'd never guess the War of Nothern Aggression was over. We're a sad people in some ways....

:) I'm kidding. ....sort of.

3:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home