Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Did I mention here that......



last September, J. and I spent a week at our beautiful American Riviera?
Click here It was a lovely week. Hot, with some scattered rain, but good just the same. This time I didn't rent extra space in case the kids decided to come down for a night or two. This time I rented a one bedroom -- just big enough for us. I was afraid it would be too small, but it was lovely. Updated after Ivan and beautifully decorated. It faced west and we were blessed with beautiful sunsets each (well, many) nights.

We didn't waste time talking with realtors and veiwing properties this trip. I think my nagging, along with umpteen hurricanes, and....realtors being frank about how high taxes and insurance (if you can find it) have become, have just about convinced J. that the mountains are a better choice for us. Seasons. Cool air. Sweaters.

We did meet a fabulous older lady from New York. She must have been in her 70's but she is living proof that age is only a number. She and her husband (who died a few years ago) bought a unit in the building we were staying in and moved down from NY some time ago. We had run into her a couple of times before we really struck up a conversation -- in the elevator.

J. is as gregarious as she, and when he mentioned I had spent time last summer in NYC, that was all it took. Questions for me which led to her sharing her life in the city. She was so interested and interesting. I soon realized how much she was missing NYC. And I understood. She has a daughter living in upstate NY and visits her often. As well as a daughter in Winston Salem. Small world.

Anyway, as we said goodbye she started belting out "Give My Regards to Broadway." WTH! J. --who's (apparantly) as nutty as she, started booming out the song right along with her. Which left me -- Miss Uptight -- standing there mortified, but....mumbling along with them.

Which makes me wonder. Do all NYers start singing at the drop of a hat? The last thing we did as a group at Teachers College was join arms and sing "New York, New York"....

1 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

After 9/11 everyone would sing "I LOVE NY" - a promotional tune from a commercial to visit the big apple. I guess New Yorkers do sing at the drop of a hat.

8:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home