Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Friday, November 02, 2007

My dad & football......



Okay. Football and sentimentality do not mix well. I know that. But.... there comes a point in each football season since my father passed away that I find myself missing him more than usual. That point's arrived for this season.

I'll watch tomorrow's LSU/BAMA game with my dad's memory alive and kickin'. After I graduated from LSU, he and I decided that, no matter which team won, neither of us would be losers. That was quite a concession coming from him -- a life-long BAMA fan. My first memory of my dad is him calling to me, "Get over here, Girl. BAMA's in trouble." I'd scoot over and let him rub the top of my head for luck.

Later, after I'd married and settled in another state, I could always count on his phone calls every time LSU and BAMA played. "They're looking good, Girl," he'd say about which ever team was winning. After every spectaculary good (or bad) play, the phone would ring.

I felt so special during those calls. My dad and I didn't share many experiences during my growing up. He traveled for a living, and with two sons, much of his time home was spent with them and their sports activities. At that time sports didn't hold much opportunity for girls. That's just how it was back then.

As my children were born my dad and mom would visit often, but it was still me and my mom interacting mostly while my dad played with the kids. After my mom passed away, is when my father started his calls during that special football game each year. I still remember how suprised (and pleased) I was after that first call. I guessed it was his way of staying in touch, and I loved him all the more for caring enough to think of his own way of showing me his love.

So, Daddy....are you ready for some football!? We got us a good one coming up tomorrow, and -- neither of us can lose. Love you bunches.

1 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

that's beautiful.

2:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home