Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Lost in Translation......



What do you do when you are sitting at a dinner table with another couple and they don't speak many words of English? Here's what I did. I smiled. A lot. I smiled until my cheeks and jaws are sore.

For some unfathomable reason J. accepted a lunch invitation with the Mexican engineer he's befriended and the guy's wife who's been in the U.S. for less than a month. He speaks some English. She speaks almost none.

They are a lovely couple with a cute year old baby. They wanted to come to the U.S. "the right way," so they have their papers. He's very proud of that. They have very little furniture. Most of what they have came from donations or Goodwill. They are proud of how they are putting things together. I admire there dedication.

J. has helped them out with his truck and he helped the husband out at work before the wife and baby had their papers in order and could come here. So I guess this lunch was a thank you for him.

It's just that, as I sat and sat, and sat, and... at the table -- SMILING! -- I couldn't help wondering, "What IS the point of this?" I feel like a bad person for feeling that way.

As we were leaving, the husband asked, "When are you coming back? What date?" We didn't know what to say.

I did teach the baby to wave and say, "Bye bye." I didn't realize it until we were leaving and she raised her little hand and said it. I don't know who was more surprise, me or her parents. As we got in the car J. said he didn't know if they appreciated that or not. WTH?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home