Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Friday, January 04, 2008

Greetings from the frozen south......



Burr! It's cold. I hesitate to say that because I b*tch so much about the heat, you'd think I'd welcome the cold. I do, but....sheesh! Not quite this cold -- or this windy. But, not to worry. By week's end it'll be pushing 80 degrees. Roller coaster weather.

You know, it's not fun coming home after you've been away for a month. Not only do I miss my views, but this house was a mess! How did that happen with no one here? Well, I'll tell you. My husband is a pig. He was here for two weeks and I don't think he picked up a single thing after himself. Certainly doesn't endear him to me. I blame him for what happened to me yesterday.

Yesterday morning, as I was hauling my third or fourth bag of garbage and recyclables out in the freezing weather, I was really steaming mad didn't want to go back inside to face the loads and loads of washing that awaited me. Not to mention the vacuuming and dishes and....

So....I walked to the front porch and sat down. The wrought iron chair shocked me back into reality pretty quickly though. But before I could make it back around to the side door to get back inside, I heard my name being called. In the wind it sounded like it was coming from the heavens and I thought -- Well, I've done it this time. I knew I'd pay for the thoughts I was having. It wasn't G-d. It was my neighbors' house-sitting chef (no longer "in training").

He was standing inside the door calling me. Child, you're chilled to the bone! he said. Get in here and warm up. And warm up I did. With freshly brewed hazelnut coffee, fortified with generous dollops of amaretto, rum cake (toasted with butter) and a few left-over rum balls.

After warm drink, warm food, and the genuine warmth of the chef and his partner, I stumbled walked home got this house in shape in record time. Then, I crashed. Wonder why? But not before sending up my thanks for caring people showing up in your life when you need them.

1 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

What a wonderful story. Sister - I know what you mean about men and a messy house. I bet you were wonderful company for that neighbor of yours.

My uncle in birmingham said it was freezing cold down there! Hope it warms up soon.

6:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home