Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Indigo Skies......



While finishing our Christmas shopping Friday, J. and I came across an odd little shop tucked behind one of the most popular rows of beach shops in Orange Beach. I don't know why I've never noticed it before. It was as if it was trying not to be noticed. One step in and I realized why it was so low key.

It was mostly filled with items that many probably call New Age. I know that a shop of that sort can cause some tsk, tsk-ing in these parts. I saw some lovely clay figurines that I wish I could describe -- from an artist colony in Oregon. I came so close to buying one for son #3, but (after considering the price) thought other things were higher on his list. Maybe for his birthday. I did pick him up a print -- sort of medieval art with a lot going on and in the middle (almost hidden) is a knight and his lady. It's cool. I had decided to give the kids each a beach print for Christmas as a memory of spending the holiday here but thought son #3would like this print better.

In a corner of a back room I spyied another box of prints and started looking through them. They were NOLA/French Quarter themed. Just the thing for son #2, I thought -- much of his teen years were spent learning his way around the Quater (I was amazed to learn this after-the-fact. Scared the shi%% out of me.) Before Katrina the majority of his work was in New Orleans. After Katrina he had lost his work and two friends. Like many people I know, I don't think he's been back since the storm.

I started out sorting through the New Orleans prints with a smile, thinking about some of the adventures son #2 has shared with me of how he and his frinds would sneak down the road to NOLA for a night of ....I don't even want to think about it. Before finishing looking through the prints, I was surprised by the tears that had sprung to my eyes and the realization that I didn't know what memories the print would bring son #2. "Better stick with a beach print," I said to J. with a catch in my voice. "I don't know if son #2 is ready for this."

As we turned to leave the room we were surprised to see an older man sitting on a couch. He was turned with his face away from us as if he was attempting to be invisible. I swear neither J. nor I noticed him when we walked into the small room. We felt as if we were intruding. But, before I could walk out of the room, the man was standing in front of me. He gave me a tender hug, and said, "Thank you for not forgetting."

Looking back, I think the shop owner reads fortunes, and maybe the man was there for that and wasn't eager to be seen. I don't know, but it was odd. What I do know is that it reminded me of how so many are still suffering. Many have become quite good at hiding it -- maybe even from themselves -- but they are still hurting. And there is so little help available. I heard today that more housing (for all income levels) is becoming available in NOLA. I hope this is true. Of course, the source was FEMA, so -- take it for what it's worth....

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Wanted to pop in and wish you a MErry and a Happy.

xo,
Deb

4:15 PM

 
Blogger east village idiot said...

What a beautiful post. I'm sorry things are still in a bad way down there. It's so hard when your city gets hit and you feel like the whole world has gone on with life and left you and your city behind as yesterdays news. You're a good mom.

7:09 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Deb! Thanks for dropping by.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family evi! Thank you for your comment. I really do believe we're beginning to see New Orleans take baby steps toward a new life. I just pray they go in the right direction.

10:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home