Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The '60's......

Ah, the 1960's! I remember them well -- at least *parts* of them. LOL! I came of age during the '60's. In Birmingham, Alabama. The death Monday of a strong woman has taken me back to 1960's B'ham, AL. Memories are flooding in and it seems that every way I turn something else reminds me of that time and place.

Rosa Parks died Monday. The Mother of the Civil Rights Movement, a Civil Rights Pioneer -- whatever title you wish to bestow on her. I think of her as a strong woman....one of most respectful things I can say/think of a woman. ....Something I strive to become. A strong woman.

I've heard Mrs. Parks' story told different ways. One version, that she was simply a tired lady coming home after a long work day who decided not to give up her seat to a white man. Just decided not to do it on that particular day. Another version, that she had been active in human rights before 'the bus incident'. Whichever is true, it was a courageous thing to do -- refusing to give up her seat on the bus AND working in the Civil Rights Movement at that time and in that place.

Being from B'ham can be a burden. Cities have identies that define those who live in them. What's one of the first things you ask someone you've just met? "Where are you from." ....Right? Somehow where a person's from supposedly tells us something about that person. That's why when I'm asked that question I find myself giving a two-part answer, "I'm from B'ham, AL and....I'm sorry about all that happened there." Even after saying that I feel as if I'll need to prove *something* to them. But, hey, it could be worse. I once taught with a lady from Japan. When she moved to a large northern city at the age of seven, she was made to stand by her desk in class and take responsibility for WWII. At least now I can dodge my question and say I'm from Louisiana. But that still requires a two-part answer since I feel I should end THAT admission with a laugh....

Sheesh! Maybe what my Japanese friend's teacher was having her do wasn't what my friend felt it was. Maybe people aren't judging me as I feel they are. But, it sure feels that way. We pay for our past, and for our cities' pasts.

All this brings me to what happend at LSU's football game Saturday, something that surprised just about everyone. ....I'm not talking about us beating Auburn, which we did, :) I'm talking about the confederate flags that are showing up on tailgating RVs. Even though the flags are in purple and gold (school colors) it's not sitting well with many black students on campus. And they let their feelings be know by staging a march before the football game. It's been the talk of the town this week. And it's been interesting to listen to.

I'm pretty proud of us so far. Oh, sure, there are still those nutjobs who spout the party line (on both sides), but there have been some interesting tidbits too. I think people are listening to each other. Something I've learned (I've googled it and it seems true) is that the confederate battle flag is a symbol of rebellion around the world. It flew when the Berlin Wall fell and when Lithuania threw off communism. Supposedly it was flown by French resistors during WWII, and in other instances that I don't remember because I was too busy making coffee while they were talking about them.... I also know that it wasn't the confederate flag that flew over slave ships and that most of us who respect that flag never had ancestors wealthy enough to own slaves.

But....I also know too much of the history of bad men and women who honored that flag too. So just as I'll keep saying, "I'm from B'ham, and I'm sorry for all that happened there." I'll also not display the confederate flag because it hurts people. I'll do this even though I think B'ham is a beautiful place and I'm proud to be from there -- and am considering moving back. I'll do this even though I think the confederate flag stood for some noble ideals. But....things have become so muddied that, for the time being, it's difficult to see clearly. It's good that, today, in Baton Rouge, there was some real communication between the races.

THAT may be the most fitting tribute to a strong woman, Rosa Parks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home