Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Making groceries......

That's what they call it in New Orleans. So..last night, as I was..making groceries..I noticed how the dance has changed. It was so different in WalMart: the sight of so many little old men out on their own (I don't remember seeing this when we lived in NO) wandering around as if lost, the sound of a man shouting in his, um, distinctive New Orlean's accent that he wanted 'buddah, buddah' not margarine. Even the ways I had to move was different. I couldn't find a rhythm. I just lurched through the store. Odd.

And as I was leaving the store I overheard someone say, "Tell your mama and them, Hi." Perfect! I could almost, allllmost, close my eyes and hear that wonderful music from way down yonder again. How I hope to be able to hear it again SOON.

All that was needed was for someone to amble up to me and bet me five dollars that they could....tell me where I got my shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home