Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Monday, September 05, 2005

Katrina

I don't know if I've mentioned that I'm from south Louisiana, but I am. J and I were in NYC while Katrina wreaked her havoc. We just got home last night. I'm at a loss for words to express my thoughts at the moment. I'm outraged, furious, bewildered at the actions of a few animals in New Orleans, and non-actions of a few animals in the state and federal government. So, while I gather my thoughts and the energy to express them, I'm going to escape into 'I've been tagged' land. Then..I'll finish cleaning out the last frickin' freezer.


10 years ago I was: Older than you guys who have already answered. :) And....I was living in an RV traveling from city to city for my husband's job while homeschooling my youngest son.

5 years ago I was: STILL older than you guys. Sigh! And....still living in an RV traveling from.... Can you say..in a rut?

1 year ago I was: Enjoying having my last child settled in college, a husband working close enough to home that I could actually STAY at home and finish up all the painting and such that had been neglected while we were traveling. Our community was also experiencing a hunt for two (yes, two) serial killers. Two were captured and now we know that there is a third somewhere out there.

Yesterday: I was attempting to make my way home to unbelievable sadness. From Meridian, MS to Baton Rouge we found spotty power and spotty gas. Driving down the interstate nothing but destruction. As sad as I was, I also felt so very blessed to be able to see and hold my children, have a roof over my head, a warm shower, and a soft bed. To have a home.

5 snacks I enjoy: Krispy Kreme Donuts, Tootsi Roll Pops, Hershey's Kisses, biayls (sp?) (I discovered these in NY), basically anything chocolate

5 songs I know all the words to: Wow. I don't think I can name 5. Maybe hymns from waaaay back in my youth. Funny how things like that stick with you.

5 things I would do with 100 million dollars: 1.)Building up the retirement fund is a good one. 2.)Moving to NY sounds good, too. The Upper West Side?? That's where we stayed last week. Maybe my I'm setting my sites too low--make it the Upper EAST Side. Although I might not fit in there if it's too uppity. 3.) Pay off the kid's student loans. 4.) Set up trust funds for kids. 5.) Rebuild as much of New Orleans as possible.

5 places I would run away to: France, New York, Gulf Shores, Utah, New Zeland

5 things I would never wear: Bikini. Ruffles. Mini skirt. Turtle neck--because I'm ticklish. Sock with heels.

5 favorite tv shows: Without a Trace. CSI New York. Judging Amy. Everybody Loves Raymond. Hack.

5 bad habits: Procrastinating. (Is that spelled correctly?) Not speaking up. Doing things myself instead of delegating and becoming overwhelmed. Putting too much on my plate--food and tasks. Staying up into the wee hours and still trying to get up early and get things done.

5 biggest joys: 1-4 my children. Ability to hope

5 favorite toys: My laptop. My coffee pots. Books. Newspapers. My lamp Berger.

5 fictional characters I would date: Zorro. Adam from Bonanza. Jack from Without a Trace. Captain Kirk. Golly (??) from Monarch of the Glen.

5 people I tag to do this: Amanda, Tamra, Harmony, Margaret, Zack

1 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

Thank you for your kind post and concern for my husband. We are very fortunate that he got out of there before the storm started brewing.

We are heart broken about all that is going on down there - and all that didn't go on down there in time. Shame on the people who preyed on fellow sufferers and shame on the leadership of this country and the federal government for failing to take care of its own people.

I lived through 9/11 - can you imagine what our enemies are thinking right now? What fumbling idiots we look like to the entire world? Fumbling at the cost of thousands of lives. Sorry for being on a soap box - it just makes my blood boil.

I'm glad you love New York and I laughed out loud that you love biayls. You figured out the Eastside and Westside pretty darn quick. Did you go downtown? It's cool here too. Buy the book before you come up the next time - it will be your bible. It's small enough to stick in your purse - and it will really help you have fun and stay of trouble!

8:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home