Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, September 22, 2005

What do Social Security Numbers and Indelible Ink Have in Common......

With hurricane Rita possibly bearing down on us, our governor's advice to all in Acadiana who chose to stay and not evacuate was: "Write your social security number on your arm with indelible ink. You're as good as dead." Ummmm....I think I'd pack up and go after hearing that one....

Earlier today my son was reading me some statistics from a course he's taking this semester. I'd heard some of them before--statistics that show how very blessed we in America are (and possibly..depending on your belief system..how selfish and out of touch we are). These statistics showed that we Americans are a small fraction of the world's population yet we (not me--but a few of us..a VERY few of us) hold 50% of the world's wealth. Unbelievable! ....But maybe not. The city I'm living in is becoming (statistically speaking) more and more unlike America and like the *rest* of the world. We have outbreaks of dysentery (sp?) in one of the shelters. What's next? Oh, yes, they say it could be cholera.

J pulled the 5th wheel home from Beaumont today. The trip usually takes 3 1/2 hours--today it took him over 7 hours. Not really surprising, just tiring. Many of the people who evacuated west after Katrina are now evacuating back east. Pitiful. Yet....how is it so different from what's *normal* in the vast majority of the rest of the world?

J wants to go get batteries for the lantern tonight. (Hysterical laughter here!) He so doesn't get it. He's never been here when a storm's hit. He's been 'off working.' ....I know that's important; I'm just saying that he's never had to 'prepare for the storm' before. I'm going to go with him. Who knows. We might just find some batteries....and eggs.

Now, pardon me while I go cry into my Southern Comfort....

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Hard to believe that we are so small but wield so much power. Needless to say that if we had less knuckleheads running the show we might be able to get our stats to be better.

~Deb

6:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home