Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Good Bye to the Big Apple......

While thinking about the last three days of our trip, I realized that we were sort of in a daze--knowing the best (that our kids were fine) and the worst (that many, many others weren't). Looking back, I think we were going through the motions of finishing the trip because only then could we GET BACK HOME. So I'm just going to combine the last three days--because that's how they felt to us....one big blur. Which means.. we're going to have to go back up there and do it right! :)

Tuedsay and Wednesday: We spent these two days in the Midtown area--again, with mucho walking. The Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Rockefeller Center, Lincoln Center, Radio City Music Hall, Grand Central Station..all the usual stuff. My favorites were 1.) the main reading room of the NYC library--beautiful ceilings & of course..the lions, and 2.) Saint Patrick's Cathedral. Magnificent! I wanted to light a candle in remembrance of all who died and were dying in NOLA but (not being Catholic) was fearful of doing something wrong and insulting, so I just said a silent prayer. (We were out and about all day and well into the night so the only images I saw were on tv late at night. I wasn't bombarded with the awful images coming out of NOLA so I hadn't really felt the full impact. I now understand the outrage expressed by those we met during that time. They were more in touch than we were. I guess we were tying not to face it so we could finish our plans and get home. I also better understand the rage my sons expessed when I talked to them. My family looks quite different than many you saw on roof tops in NOLA, yet my sons would tell me in horror that *our* people are dying a few minutes down the road. I heard that expressed many times my first week back--expressed by black/white/yellow/poor/wealthy/you name it. And I heard myself saying it in disbelief and outrage.) Whew! Excusez-moi.

After that brief intermission, back to the surreal trip reporting....

Thursday, our last day: After our daily bagels and coffee--so many good bagel shops with so many good bagels, we packed up and had the hotel hold our bags until the car service was due to pick us up for an 8:30 pm flight out of LGA. At the time I booked our flights, it seemed like a good idea to book a late return flight so we'd have more time to do more stuff, but that day how I wished we'd had one of those 5:30 am flights out. We just wanted to get home--we didn't know how because so many roads were closed but we knew we'd find a way. As it turned out, so many things that were supposed to be true (like closed interstates) weren't. I guess everyone was pretty much overwhelmed.

Thurday we headed back downtown to shop and eat. Actually, we did very little shopping and eating the whole trip. I had lots of both planned but we just didn't feel up to it. We tried, but not much sparked our interest, or seemed worthwhile. I shouldn't say we didn't eat because we did. :/ We just found ourselves grabbing something from the carts along the streets or going in any place that looked interesting when we were hungry. I had a 3" stack of restaurant menus I'd printed out, but we didn't try a one of them. Oh, well, always next time, right?

Sheesh! I can't seem to finish this report. So....Thursday we went by Columbia University, looked for Jim a hat in the Garment District, and went back to Chinatown and shopped/looked. We found a fun place named Pearl River. And we had a nice sit down 'last day' lunch in Little Italy. Great food. Great prices. Great place to people watch. I longed for more of that sauce for days.

Then, finally, finally, finally, it was time to go home.

On the flight home we noticed that the guy across the aisle had on a crimson hat with that distinctive white script *A*--can you say "Roll Tide?" (As in the University of Alabama football "Roll Tide!") Well, of course Jim leaned over and said, "Roll Tide!" The guy responded likewise. That led to a conversation on BAMA football that lasted half way to B'ham. As it turned out, the guy is a reporter with the New York Times and he was on his way to the coast, not only to 'report' but he was also going to rent a truck, find some gas cans, fill them up, and get supplies down to reporters already there. He told us that his realitives in MS told him people were going to gas stations in pairs--one person to fill the car and pay, and one person to stay in the car to prevent carjacking. We told him that our sons said while buying gas twice daily to keep the generator going they noticed many people with guns in their belts. Bad people were on the move, and I have no doubt that a 'displaced' criminal element has embedded itself in Baton Rouge.

So, we landed, told the NYTimes dude to take care, and after "Roll Tide-ing" each other we headed to the house in AL where the girls were waiting. We stayed up till the wee hours listening to them unload. Then, the next day, started the long trip home.

Jeeze! How could I forget to mention: 1.) The Met--Wonderful, magnificent, spectacular.... Before you go it will save time if you go online and research alllllllllll the exhibits so you can prioritize. Make your list or 'must-sees.' There is NO way to do it all in a day.

2.) "All Shook Up" was just plain fun.

3.) "The Producers" was fun but a level above "ASUp." We loved it.

....If I remember anything else that I've forgotten, I'll be back.

3 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

Great blog post! I think the problem in New York is the same as Paris and London - you can't do it in one trip and you shouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to try. Just the fact that you went to Pearl River nominates you for a prize!!!

As for the food - I think you took the right approach - keeping it casual. The best thing about NY is the multiple ethnic cafes - but it takes time for even a new yorker to figure it all out.

I've never been on a tour of the U.N. but i think that would be cool.

When you go to the MET or museum of natural history pay as little as you want to get in. EVERYONE does and both museums get tons of money from the city, state and fed.

The Cathedral of St John the Divine is pretty cool too. Tell me the next time you come up and I'll email some suggestions that you can keep or toss!

Sorry to hear about what you came home to. How can Baton Rouge keep up with the population and soon to be crime explosion?

I find it increasingly odd that the media is not showing the rest of the country what the place and the carnage really looks like. It's important for us to see and understand. People up here are beginning to forget about it.
It's hard to connect to what you can't see or hear described fully. All I hear is people on the radio saying "you have no idea what it looks like - the news isn't showing one tenth of the story"

So what does it look like? and why won't they show us? we need to see it.

6:23 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I agree with EVI...you can't do NY in one trip. It should leave you wanting to return again.

How are things going for you and yours in Baton Rouge?

~Deb

12:30 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

Hi Deb! I must have done something right because I'm so looking forward to my next trip to NY. :)


Thank you for asking about how things are going. Actually, I've just about made the decision to move from here. We were thinking about moving long before Katrina, but now I feel guilty about leaving. I feel I should stay and help, but I'm weary. Weary of trying to make a difference.

The poverty and ignorance is so great. I've taught people who were on/below the poverty level for years (GED, JTPA, CETA, Teen Parenting). I realized early on that all those programs were helping only a very few. The rest seemed to become mired deeper in the system. The result--what we all saw in New Orleans.

Add that to the politics we have here. Not a pretty picture! Before the last governor's election I knew in my head that it was time to go, but I love this oddly beautiful place and its people. But....after the results of that election, I knew in my heart that it was time to go. To big a battle.

8:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home