Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Just the facts ma'am, just the facts......

Lately, I sometimes feel as if I'm living a double life. When talking to some of my friends we discuss what's going on in our city, what the plan might end up being for the region we're living in, who is trying to do what and why they might want to do it, if we want to stay in the area.... The conversation (along with a bottle..or two of wine, a pot..or two of coffee, or a plate of spicy food) often goes on and on and on with theorizing, what if's, maybe's....all the usual twists and turns of a conversation about the unknown.

But....when talking to other friends, friends who are in the rebuilding process or those still trying to decide whether or not to rebuild, the conversation is quite different. These friends only have time for a quick glass of wine, cup of coffee, or a little bite of something sweet. Each word spoken needs to be useful to them in some way, they just don't have time for anything unnecessary. One such friend asked me if I knew of the Shaw group. I said, yes, and started talking about some gossip-y details that I'd heard about this business. At that point I could see my friend's eyes glazing over. He didn't care about any details. He just wanted to know what they wanted and what they were going to do for NOLA. He just wanted the facts, ma'am, just the facts. ....And, he wondered if they might be able to get him some sheetrock.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I am sure that the polar extremes are felt very deeply by you and others in your community. What you all have been through and continue to navigate leaves me feeling so lost myself. I just can't imagine all of this.

~Deb

7:24 AM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

HI Deb....ya know, when talking with or listening to those who have been affected first hand, I've heard so many different emotions, but now, I'm just beginning to hear enormous anger. And I don't know that the anger isn't warranted.

Talk of how this disaster could have (possibly) been prevented. Talk of racial cleansing in the rebuilding of NOLA. Talk of big oil destroying the coast. Looking at what we know now, it's hard to argue with those who are so angry.

2:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home