Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sitting here sipping a glass of white wine......

(Alabama Muscadine white wine that my daughter found in Mississippi) Yes, sitting here taking a sip of two before starting supper and thinking -- thinking about what this city I live in has become.

You can't get ANYWHERE in a timely fashion, can't make it to appointments on time unless you double (or triple) the time it used to take, can't shop as you're used to, can't take the side roads to avoid the interstate....because so many others have discovered those side roads and are driving down them so fast that people are being killed on neighborhood streets (how can you go fast enough through someone's neighborhood to be involved in a high speed crash?), can't listen to the news or read a paper without finding out about all the new types of crime (I can't believe the rate that people are dying), can't..can't..can't....

One day soon (maybe tomorrow) this entire city is going to find ourselves in a state of gridlock -- and not just for the hours on and off all day and night that we already experience it, but we're just NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET ANYWHERE!

As someone recently said -- this is a small city bursting at the seams. And, no one wants to mention the anger and frustration simmering just below the surface of most everyone living here (by choice or not). If someone doesn't come up with some solutions soon I'm afraid that Katrina's wrath might pale in comparison to what 'however many people living here now' can bring about.

It's just not working, folks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Wow, I didn't realize it was still so tough to get around. The media has away of moving onto the next tragedy. I wish they would follow stories from tragedy to healing...not just the crisis for ratings.

Peace,
Deb

11:56 AM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

Hi Deb! Yep, it's still a mess around here and I can't see how it's going to get any better.

....I guess by 'better' I mean getting back to normal (which was not too good in its own way as far as traffic, etc.). We're just a different city now whether anyone likes it or not.

I, too, wish the media would follow through. They came down here in the first place drooling at the stories they knew they would find....and they found them and we were good for their ratings.

Now I wish they would repay us a bit by admitting some of their stories were overkill. Of course, much of it is our own fault. We're a poor state that makes much of our money by capitalizing on our 'reputation'. ....Even if that reputation is for corruption, stupidity, partying....

Odd what people can learn to proud of....

7:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home