Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Failed again in my efforts to find the beaches of my childhood......

aka -- funky beaches. But the beaches we did discover over Thanksgiving week --the beaches of south walton -- are absolutely lovely. ....Can any beach not be lovely??

We're back. And we had a memorable time. Weather was typical November (with an edge to it as all the weather seems to be getting 'edgier' around here lately). Heading down, we ran into rain as we turned south off I-10 and we spent day and night one with the sound of chilly rain drops hitting the roof. We arrived around dusk, picked up the key, picked up pizzas, and found *our* beach house for the week. We turned the tv on, the pool lights on, the electric fireplace on, grabbed blankets to wrap up in, and then settled back with pizza and wine coolers.

Lucky for us the weather warmed up gradually each day. Weather wise, Thanksgiving day was about as perfect as they come. Since the weather on day two was cold and blustery, we decided to drive to Destin and see the new Harry Potter movie, which I thought was quite good! The movie theater is in a big shopping complex and they had just decorated for Christmas. It was a lovely setting with the decorations, the choirs singing carols, and the cold windy weather. Really put one in the Christmas spirit. I was ready to be a true-blooded 'Merican and start shopping/spending, but my hubby and sons would have nothing of it. Where is my daughter when I need her??

We spent the rest of the week beach walking, soaking in the pool (heated -- thank God!), eating, exploring new beaches and cute (expensive) little shops. Since I can't sleep much past sunrise when at the beach, I would get up before everyone and walk the beach or the walking paths to buy pastries for breakfast, the morning paper, and a big cup of coffee to finish the walk with. The first couple of mornings J had breakfast cooking when I came back from my walk. Ah! I relax just thinking about it....

I had preorded our Thanksgiving dinner from the local grocery (Publix) and only had to pick it up and heat it. It was surprisingly good. I usually make and freeze the dressing and some sides at home a couple of weeks before we leave for the beach, but this year I said, "What the hell!" and just ordered the whole she-bang. No complaints. Could that have been because I promised A. that I would bake her a turkey....promised son #2 that I would make him some dressing....promised son #3 that I would make him a chocolate pie when we got back home?!?!? So....looks as if I'll be doing my regular cooking for Christmas.

As I said, these aren't the funky beaches I remember from my childhood -- I don't think those exist anymore. I think these beaches would like to be as laid back as they say they are, but....bottom line is they have been discovered. I mean, when a movie has been filmed there (The Truman Show), when Sheryl Crowe and Lance Armstrong vacation there, when Carl Rove has a house there....whad da ya expect? The striving artist can't afford to live there anymore, and I think it's a shame. But....that's just my opinion.

But still....all those big beautiful houses/condos/villas just sit there empty for weeks at a time when there are so many people needing a roof over their heads. On our way down, as we drove through the poor, poor, poor devistated MS coast where there were people spending Thanksgiving in tents or in FEMA trailers parked in their front yards or in hotels far away from home. Just give me a minute to 'adjust' my sense of reality, but how can there be so few with so much, and, at the same time, so many with so little? How is this possible? This planet abounds with wealth and resources. There is enough for all of us to be comfortable. Why aren't so many of us?

Well, as Regis said....I'm just one man (or woman, in my case).

One last quick thing. On our last day there was a Christmas parade down highway 30-A. That, my friends, was as close to beach tacky funky as you're probably gonna find now. ....I loved it! A prefect ending to a wonderful Thanksgiving.

5 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

What a great Thanksgiving. What could be better than the beach? Sorry for my ignorance but what area of beach are you talking about? Is it in your home state?

Everything I hear and read about New Orleans sounds upsetting. Is it true that no real plan exists yet for rebuilding or will it just be the elevated areas? It seems like the federal gov't can't or isn't doing what it promised regarding the $50 billion in support. I also heard that people don't want those trailers in their neighborhoods filled with people who are not from their parish. It really is a complicated situation. Would New York do any better - that's what I wonder. 9/11 was bad - but it was a different kind of catastrophe.

6:54 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

So glad you had a wonderful time. I also have been upset learning how bad things continue to be down by the gulf coast.

~Deb

5:57 AM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

Hi evi....We went to the Beaches of South Walton on the Florida panhandle. They are between Destin and Panama City -- if that tells you anything. They were new to me, too, even tho they are old beaches. I grew up going to my beautiful Bama beaches but I must say these beaches rival them. What more can you say about a beach named Watercolor??

As for the plan for New Orleans..if there is one, I haven't heard about it. There is lots and lots of talk out there but not much action. Our totally inept governor (IMHO) seems to do nothing but form committies to study what should be done. Such a shame! When she won the election I knew it was time to leave the state. We had a choice between her and Bobby Jindal (Google him if you ever find free time on your hands). Who knows if Jindal would have done a better job after Katrina, but I thought he was a chance for hope for the state. But.... Jindal is of Indian decent and the perception around here is that he wasn't white enough for whites and wasn't dark enough for blacks. Stupidity pure and simple.

As for the federal gov't, I don't know what's going to happen. Bush I (aka former pres Bush) and Clinton were in NO today with money for rebuilding churches and (I think) some schools. As of now, it's normal everyday people that are keeping things going and I don't know if that's not going to change much. Just after Katrina people were saying that it would take up to 10 years to rebuild the Gulf Coast area, and now I think people are finally 'gettin it'. As people/businesses come down and see first-hand the devistation many understand and are making that 10 year commitment.

Yes, it is complicated. Some don't want the evacuees because of prejudice -- NOLA was not highly thought of by many around the state..an embarrassment to some. On the other hand, this is a poor state and there is no extra money (and seemingly no available brain power) to handle the influx of cars/traffic on streets, children in schools, extra shoppers resulting in food/clothing/and everything else you can name shortages, garbage pickup delays, newpaper shortages, doctors overloaded, ....I could go on, but just think about every detail of daily living being impacted and you'll know what I mean. ....Maybe like Christmas season in NYC. A study just came out that Katrina resulted in Baton Rouge, overnight, seeing traffic that was predicted to take place 25 years from now. Hellish!

I agree with you about 9/11 being so different -- don't you think it touched patriotism in us all and fear that we were all under threat? Whereas Katrina touched us in different ways. People were, and still are, amazing. Yet life goes on and in this country one seems to be expected to grit one's teeth and get on with it. I think that's what is going to make or break New Orleans....how much each individual is willing to give. In the end I think private business and individuals are going to play a big part -- or not.

And, yes, the gov't will play a part also....sooner or later. Ever wonder why all the attention on NOLA and not so much on the MS gulf coast where entire zip codes have been wiped out? Well, I'm not sure how to word it since I still need to do some research, but.... from what I hear the federal gov't owns rights to LA oil and natural gas. We own the pipelines. I'm not sure if I stated that correctly, but it's something like that. Sheesh!

Hi deb....it's going to be a while before things settle out. And who knows how things will settle out? From what I'm hearing there is lots of anger building among displaced New Orleanians (and those who are back trying to rebuild) because no one knows what the plan is. You can't put your life on hold forever.

3:55 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:55 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

Sheesh! Pardon the spelling and grammar in the above post.

....Blame it on the margarita(s) my neighbor's housesitter/chef-in- training 'insisted' I taste test. :)

9:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home