Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Home again, home again, doing a jig......



They're home -- my kids. Back in the good ol U.S.ofA., and they were ready to get back. I was worried for a few days because they totally fell in love with London. But in the end it was the food that did them in. It seems that 10 days is way too long to do without the familiar taste of SpaghettiOs. Not that they couldn't find SpaghettiOs in the UK -- they could. (Why?) But....the tomato sauce was different. !!

While in London/Canary Wharf, they had a varied diet: Papa John's, Domino's, McDonald's, Burger King (which was their favorite), and they found a Chili's -- but didn't have time to try it out. They even had Krispy Kreme. When J heard of their food choices, he glared at moi as if it were somehow my fault!?

Now, in all fairness to them, they did dine at a few unfamiliar restaurants and pubs -- son #3 told me of a salad he ordered. He doesn't like lettuce with stems. Sigh! Maybe it is partly my fault.

They had their favorite market a couple of minutes from their apartment. Apparently, they stopped in every day for something or other -- even if it was just for coffee (or Frosted Flakes). They dissed my suggestion of having Christmas dinner at an Indian restaurant in favor of ordering in from their market -- and then complained that the Southern fried chicken didn't taste Southern. And that the bar-b-qued chicken tasted different. Nothing tasted the same, they said. Maybe, they wondered, it was because it is a Muslim market?

Yes, in the end it was the food that did them in. That -- and their getting tired of not being understood. ;) Seems some Brits thought they were Aussies. (snicker)

When the gal from Texas informed her dad of their trip, he had asked if they would have a language barrier......and the kids laughed. Little did they know.

As they tell me about some of their (mis)adventures (like the car they ordered to pick them up after Mary Poppins being surrounded by drunk Brits, who proceeded to pound upon it because they thought the driver had tried to run them over a block or so away), I find myself laughing until tears ran down my cheeks. Not just because it's so funny, but also because they are home safe and sound.

I am so blessed that my worries are for the safety of my children who are privileged enough to spend a few days in Europe. There are mothers worrying about so much more. Like children in Iraq, Afghanistan.... Somehow it doesn't seem fair.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO happy for you!!!


Happy 2007,
Deb
at
http://drdeborahserani.blogspot.com/

11:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home