Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Weight



Almost four weeks ago, on a chilly (actually cold for these parts) Saturday morning, before the sun had risen (another of those early morning flights that seem like such a good idea when I'm booking them), I found myself sitting in one of those wittle, bitty planes Delta is so fond of flying out of Baton Rouge to larger airports. ....A packed wittle, bitty plane.

All of a sudden I noticed passengers sporatically getting out of their seats and exchange seats with other passengers. Then....the pilot makes an announcement over the planes's loudspeaker. This is what he says: "Ladies and gentlemen we have a weight problem. We are in the process of moving passengers around to better distribute the weight."

Then....three or four minutes later, he makes another announcement. "Hello again, ladies and gentlemen. Continue bearing with us as we redistribute passengers and their weight. We do have a significant weight problem. After the redistribution is complete, we'll see how we do on take-off."

Of course we made it to Atlanta fine. And I made it on to Raleigh fine -- after forgetting the time difference and thinking I had 45 minutes to make my connection, leading to my marathon winning run through HotLanta's airport. Actually, I knew exactly how much time I had (because A. had drilled it into my head. My daughter knows I don't pay attention to lots of details at times.) I blame my memory lapse on my seatmate -- also from Baton Rouge, also headed to Raleigh, who was convinced we had only 45 minutes between flights.

Anywho....I ended up enjoying three weeks in the beautiful state of North Carolina with A. and son #3. Now I'm back home -- spicy, hot, humid, and quirky though it be.

4 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

I couldn't help but laugh. That happened to me on a small flight to rural Pennsylvania. It's also true for helicopter rides.

Welcome back! I was getting worried.

7:04 PM

 
Blogger Rice said...

I would have a panic attack.
Patrice random blogger who enjoys your blog

5:56 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I would be having panic attacks too, as rice said. I'd also feel so responsible for the weight distribution problems!!!

10:49 AM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

evi....Before they started moving people around, I noticed the flight attendant walk by a couple of times seemingly looking at seatbelts and then writing in a notebook. I guess he was making a list of who to move.

rice....I have a fear of having a panick attack on a plane. Lucky for me that by flight time I'm usually so busy keeping up with luggage, boarding passes, etc, that I forget to be afraid. !!

dr deb....LOL! When I and the woman sitting next to me heard about why they were moving people, we both instinctively sucked our tummies in. I really think the pilot could have been a wee bit more subtle.

5:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home