Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh, I forgot to mention......



Last month during Mardi Gras, one of A.'s friends broke her ankle while in New Orleans. While drunk as a skunk.... She stepped off a curb wrong and broke her ankle really badly. She ended up in the hospital (I think it was Touro Infirmary) where she underwent surgery and had a steel rod and pins put in her ankle. OUCH!

She's recovering well. The only reason I mention it is to let everyone know that she received competent care while in NOLA. She complained about the wait, but SHEESH! It was New Orleans -- during Mardi Gras. Not to mention her blood alcohol level....

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

So glad she is ok

6:34 PM

 
Blogger east village idiot said...

I keep on hearing that the violence level in NOLA is very high. Is that true? Why aren't people getting it - that this catastrophe could happen to any of us and that we should be helping more.

8:37 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

dr deb.... Me, too. She was a very blessed young lady.

evi.... Yes, it's bad in parts of the city. I don't have a handle on it, but as best as I can tell, they are keeping the Quarter safe. It's the neighborhoods where you have to be extra careful.

I'm with you. I don't know why people aren't getting it. The social implications of this diaspora are staggering. There are so many, many people who are being written off--just forgotten. And it's not just in NOLA. There are pockets of displaced people (with no skills to help themselves) just....sitting, waiting. Waiting to go home (!), or waiting for someone to do something.

And the cities (like mine) that have been changed need help, too.

8:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home