Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Reflexive pronouns



My daughter (A) called to tell me she'd sent me files of the correspondence they were sending a lawyer re the house in MS -- which has water problems that the builder isn't in a hurry to fix. Which means the house is on the market but not selling because potential buyers are concerned about the puddles in the yard. ....Go figure.

So...."A" asks me to tell her what I think about what they've written. I immediately sensed a trap. The last time she asked me to read (and reflect upon) what she'd written, she was just starting college and taking freshman English. Thinking she wanted me to actually be truthful....I read her theme and told her what I thought she needed to correct. Big mistake!

After she listened to my suggested corrections (which she quickly and totally disregarded), she turned in her paper -- as is/was. As time passed (and she was speaking to me again), I asked her how she'd done on her first paper. Not good, she said.

It turned out that A couldn't understand why her teacher didn't appreciate the fun tone of the paper. All I could say was, "Oh, darlin'. Get used to it. English papers are never suppose to be enjoyable to read or write. It they are -- rest assured, you've done something wrong."

Fast foward to today. Should I have said anything about the misuse of "myself?" (I'm pretty good at spotting mistakes like that. ....Not so good at avoiding the same mistakes....)

I guess I'll find out when she calls or emails. Or....maybe she won't call or email for awhile....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home