Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Monday, January 21, 2008

My weekend......



Last weekend was one of those weekends when things just -- worked out. It was cold, which made it all the nicer to be able to stay inside doing absolutely nothing I didn't want to do. Well....starting Friday afternoon after the running around doing things I had to do was over.

Here's an embarrassing fact about me that all too many people are learning. I look forward to "Ghost Whisperers" on Friday nights. Blush! Blush! My kids just shake their heads. Okay, even I can't say the show has stellar acting, but there's just something about it that reels me in. J. usually has a battle at his wargameing club (I wonder if we had won the war of northern agression if allllll these Southern men would still be fighting with little metal figures and/or dressing up and recreating events that are over? Actually, J.'s current armies are French and German. And he hopes to win? Hello! That kind of thinking may be a clue to why we lost....)

Anywho...."Ghost Whisperers" comes on at a perfect time. J.'s gone, dishes are done (usually), so I can pour my glass of wine, sit down and relax. A vampire show comes on afterward that I'm getting into, and then "Numbers" -- which I say I don't care for but am usually so settled into the recliner by that time that I sit and watch it anyway. And it usually surprises me that I find it entertaining. John Edward is also on on Friday nights. Such an exciting life, huh?

Now for a description of a Saturday that was just as exciting.... I read. Yes, I read pretty much all day. Just sat under an afghan and read. I've been reading the His Dark Materials series the kids lent me, and really, really want to finish Thomas Cahill's Hinges of History series -- I'm rereading "How the Irish Saved Civilization." Did you know they had done that? Well, yes ma'am, yes sir, they did. But....instead of reading either of those I had gone to Target and bought another book for this weekend, "The Friday Night Knitting Club." Amost finished it, too. I know how it ends -- I sometimes read the end, and I'll probably finish it today.

Sunday went pretty much the same way, except I spent some time catching up on the last three Sunday New York Times that were laying around -- I get so behind at times with the Times. (Okay, that stunk. I know.) I'm starting to wonder just why the paper delivery guy throws the paper in the street. Could it be a protest about delivering that paper instead of our local paper? Does he even know what paper it is he's throwing? Why would I even think this way....? And to top off the day, another of my favorite shows, "The Amazing Race" was on -- actually it ended. I liked all three couples that made it to the finals. I hate it when a couple I don't care for has a chance of winning.

Don't you wish you were me? Such a life!

My NC kids did add some spice here and there throughout the weekend. Friday night they called to ask me if I could guess what they were doing. (Why do they do that? Don't they realize what thoughts could go through a mother's mind?) It ended up they were driving around Raleigh in their new Toyota Highlander. Since my daughter and one of her roommates work at the same place, they decided to trade in both their cars and buy a bigger one that would accomodate the entire crew. So....now they have a group house and a group car. Oh, my. Oh, my. The complications that could arise. But they're sure not going to listen to me. They intend to buy a big piece of land and all build separate living spaces.

And, then, Saturday night it snowed in Raleigh. You can bet I heard all about that. And the fact that one of the two new car owners had a scheduled flight to Los Angles on Sunday (would her flight be cancelled?), and the second new car owner was freaking out about driving that huge car to work Monday on (possible) icy streets. It never ends. They move out, but....

So, that was my weekend. Boring but nice. Now I'll start the exciting week ahead by vacuuming some floors....

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Anytime I can enjoy reading the NYT is a great time, so yes, how wonderful for you.

2:04 PM

 
Blogger east village idiot said...

Boring - no. Cozy - yes.

5:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home