Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Monday, April 17, 2006

Crawfish, Gumbo, and Elmers Gold Brick Eggs......

That was Easter dinner here. Oh! And the Easter King Cakes -- one chocolate and one raspberry cream cheese. :) The King Cakes were my daughter and her roommates' contribution to dinner. My daughter A's long-term Mississippi roommate has grown accustomed to our, um, unusual south Louisiana ways (she actually said those very words after she had grown accustomed to, and apparently felt comfortable enough with us to say so). The new Texas roommate has a way to go, but she's getting there.

I'm not quite sure what's going on with my daughter these days. Something about her has changed since the storm. To hear her talk you'd think that she hated this place where she was born and raised. When she was home at Christmas we were talking and she told me that it hurt too much to think about what had happened here. All these horrible, horrible things were happening and she felt as if maybe she should be here doing something. She checked into taking the few courses she needs to be certified to do DNA testing. She mentioned it again just last week so I know it's still on her mind. Maybe the angry talk is just her way of dealing with her conflicted feelings?

Anyway, as we sat around the table this Easter, and she was making some angry comments about this area, I couldn't help but notice that she was peeling those crawfish pretty damn fast, eating her share of gumbo, and making sure her dad had his Abita Amber not the Bud Light that had someway made its way into the fridge. And....lest we forget....it was she who had walked in with the King Cakes.

As I was listening to her, I was thinking -- "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

3 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

Crawfish! Gumbo! King Cakes!
I've never had any of those things and they sound wonderful.

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I agree, EVI, let's head down there and taste some. It sure sounds DELISH!

12:52 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

LOL! Y'all come on down. But....better hurry, because if we don't get some rain soon, crawfish season will be short-lived.

And, I'm not sure about King Cakes at Easter. But....she did buy them in MS where THEY do things a little bit differently. ;)

8:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home