Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Lefties or Southpaws......

whatever you want to call them, being a lefty adds challenges to daily living. You have the scissors problem, the infamous classroom desks, backwards golf clubs, playing cards to manipulate, corkscrews to make work, and my personal favorite.... coffee carafes with cup markings only on one side. Now....might I ask..for a country that can send a man to the moon, why oh why can't we make coffee carafes with numbers on BOTH sides? I mean, come on now!

So, after years of vowing to find a pen I could use and not smear ink all over the paper and my hand, I started my search. And I found one (actually several)-- in England -- actually made in Germany. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough in the U.S.? Amazing to me at least, the shipping was the same as if ordering from the states and they got here in a couple of days. How DO they do that? Jets, I would imagine.

I spent yesterday trying out my new pens. Not bad. Anybody remember these?

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/pelikano_cartridge_pen_pens.html"

I got the red one. :) And I got one of these because it looked so cool.

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/s_move_easy_rollerball.html

I got one in orange, and I think I like it the best.

Now, supposedly, the nibs of left-handed pens have been specially cut to the correct angle so the ink won't form blobs that smear on your hands and paper. (I guess that's where the German engineering comes in?) ;) Who knows? Maybe it'll work.

Well....so much for the ups and downs of living life left-handed. I'll leave you with what I think Kermit would have said/sung had he been of the sinister persuasion. "It's not easy being....a lefty."

3 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

My mom is a lefty and told me that when she was a kid in NYC public schools they used to tie up her left hand and try to make her write with her right one. Luckily times have changes...I think. But because of that her mother would scold her because it was impossible to teach my mom to sew and to knit. You lefties don't have it easy!

6:25 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

My Mom is a lefty too, and she told many stories that the nuns used to hit her on the fingers to get her to use her right hand. She became right handed in school, and remains ambidexterous to this day. But she favors her left hand.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

Oy Vey! The knitting thing.... It is impossible for me, too.

I didn't have any problems in school, but my cousin (7 days younger than me) went to a different school in B'ham and she had a rough go of it. I'm not sure which hand she uses to write with now.

10:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home