Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sometimes there is magic in these swamps......

Sometimes I remember how much I used to enjoy living here. Today was one of those days. As the sun was setting over the Mississippi, I was sitting under an oak tree, sipping a cold brew, nibbling on alligator on a stick, while zydeco was playing in the background and punk breakdancers (is there such a thing?) had magically appeared and were defying gravity. Everyone around me was smiling -- not quite drunk, tho the beer ticket line was getting longer as the shadows lengthened. Perfect! Or so I thought until a gentle breeze from the river blessed us and eased the heat. That was too much. Audible sighs filled the air. It was almost embarrassing. I imagine a group orgy would sound something like that.

It was Earth Day in Baton Rouge -- and it was damn near perfect.

2 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

What a beautiful description of a perfect day down there. One day I will visit LA and take in all of its beauty. Unfortunately I will also be tempted to take in all of its wonderful cuisine too!
Were you really eating alligator on a stick?

8:18 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

You must visit. Just hearing the music and tasting the food will make it worth the trip.

Yes, ma'am. I was indeed eating alligator. Well, to fess up, hubby was eating alligator (I took nibbles at his insistance -- read..to shut him up). I was wolfing down barbequed shrimp. MUCH better, IMO.

Alligator is preferable to nutria. Although I refuse to even nibble at nutria, I would imagine this to be true.

This state has an over abundance of nutria, so in true Louisiana mentality, every year the state has nutria tastings to see if they can convince people to start eatin' the nutria.

I'm pleased to say that (so far) even Cajuns won't eat nutria.

2:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home