Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Monday, January 28, 2008

Going green......



Have you tried the new light bulbs -- the ones Walmart is determined we should all be using? Now, truth be told, I don't know if Walmart has an agenda or not; it's just what I've heard.

Anywho....I was adamantly opposed to switching light sources. I'd heard the new bulbs made you feel you were at work -- something about the hue of light or something like that. But, J. was determinded. And when he's determinded about something, he does it. So, he's gradually been changing the bulbs in the house -- waiting to see if I rebel. I hate not having enough light to see what I'm doing!

Yesterday, after a seemingly never-ending trip to Walmart, he bought the new bulbs for the kitchen and computer room (the two rooms I've dared him to touch) and he braved changing the bulbs. He was really concerned that I was going to erupt -- which is something unusual for him. He kept saying if the new bulbs didn't work, we'd change them back. A first!

But....I've gotta say, it seems these new bulbs give more light than the old ones. I really hate to say that out loud because he'll use that as an excuse to sneak in other changes he has in mind that I know won't work....

J.'s rush to go green is a bit troubling tho. It seems everyone we talk to are mentioning ways they are cutting back. Not just to be politically correct, but because they are feeling a crunch. Could it be that as a society we are going through a big lifestyle change? I keep hearing that we are going back to how things used to be. Living nearer work. Living in small-town like communities where you don't need to get in you car to buy a loaf of bread or go to a movie. Living a lifestyle so everyone in the family doesn't need a car.

Sounds good to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home