Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Another day, another dollar....

or another few hundred or few thousand dollars. What does it matter? I'm learning that our repair/remodel is akin to when you paint. You know....a new wall color means new window treatments which means new accent pieces like lamps and rugs and....if you don't stop the madness you might as well buy a new house. What a time to be spending money. But, I keep hearing that I'm spending recession dollars and for some reason or other that makes it better. Yeah. Maybe if I keep repeating that to myself I'll believe it sooner or later.

Now....J wants to have the windows in our bedroom replaced with French doors. I have talked for years about doing that and it would be nice because they would open to the new patio being laid today and you'd have a better view of the water. Noone could see across the lake unless they're using a telescope so privacy's not an issue. The only issue is money. But, again, it is recession dollars....

In all honesty, we're not over budget yet. But if we keep adding things, it won't be long. I had hoped to squeeze in replacement vanity tops and faucets for the baths but now I dunno. It's either that or the French doors in the bedroom. The vanity tops and faucets wouldn't be nearly as much (and I could maybe get the tile I really like for the new floors) but then again, why not just get the bedroom windows ripped out while they rest of the house is such a mess (and go with a less expensive tile)? See what I mean?

So, today they're pouring concrete. That should be fun. Yesterday, M-the-contractor scraped and prepped part of the yard for the patio. That's the part I've dreaded because of allllllllllllll the problems I've had with cables being cut. Well, only the Cox cable was cut. They came right out and repaired it so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. (I do so hope those words don't find their way into that famous last words category.) J was the one pushing for the patio. I know it will be nice but I'm uncertain about the drainage. Don't want to channel water into the house. Nope. Don't want to do that. They tell me it won't be a problem. If it turns out to be....I'm just going to move. Enough is enough.

As I type I hear sawing and hammering. I guess they are forming up for the concrete pour this afternoon. They are going to have to level one of the rooms. I asked them how high the floor would be and they said....A bit higher than it is now. I asked them if it would be like those low-ceilinged basement rooms and they said....No, not like that. So...I'll clue you all in when I know what it's like. That should be later today. Now....I'm going to go swallow a couple of Tylenol. Catch you later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

It must be so hard to make the elimination decisions. Tile or doors? Etc.. It is a good time to get what you want done, so....maybe just do it all?

5:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home