Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Friday, March 06, 2009

Pollen....

This is the time of year that everything outside around here turns a distinctive shade of yellow. Yellow with pollen. There is a film of yellow dust on cars, outside furniture, your butt after sitting on outside furniture, etc, etc.... First the pollen, then the stinging caterpillars, then the no-see-ums. We can mark the season with our plagues. Oh! The lovebugs. Don't forget the lovebugs. At least we now have Bengal for the roaches. (Shudder. Shudder.)

Moving right along.... The temps are slowly but surely creeping up every week, so I decided if I was going to clean up the front flower beds without melting, I'd better do it pretty quickly. And, that's exactly what I did Wednesday. It was a pretty nice day -- weather wise. I went outside with the intention of cleaning off the patio and driveway and refilling the hummingbird feeder, and over four hours later, finally came inside. One thing led to another and by the time I was finished I had five full lawn-and-garden bags full of leaves and old pine straw. AND....front flower beds that looked much better. I still may call someone to come out and finish the job -- fertilizer, new pine straw, and whatever else needs doing.

By the end of the day Wednesday I had one of those nagging headaches -- you know the kind? Not quite a full-blown headache but one just waitin' to strike. I'm sure it was all the pollen and stuff I stirred up while working in the yard, so before bed I took two 8-hour Tylenol and then a Benedryl. Then....I couldn't sleep. I don't know why that happens sometimes. Instead of having a relaxing effect, whatever I take makes me antsy -- or something.

Now for the weekend: Whole Foods. Computer repair shop. Craigslist ad. Dealing with a son's request for money. Pizza. Beer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

We haven't started the pollen here just yet. As I age, my allergies worsen. I would love to shop in Whole Foods. Haven't had the privilege yet.

6:39 PM

 
Blogger Cheryl said...

No pollen here yet, but when it comes, it comes! Wonderful weather that you have to keep the windows closed for. Oh well. I love working outside even if it makes me sneezy and sore. And when I'm that way, I can't sleep either. Sounds like you accomplished a lot!

10:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home