Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Monday, August 27, 2007

Bumped......



So, there I was -- sitting at the gate. I had managed to check my bag, and had successfully maneuvered through security -- laptop and all -- with no mishaps. I was quite proud of myself as I sat sipping my cup of strong, hot, creamy, sugary coffee. I'm on my way, I thought.

After a while I noticed the Delta employee at the check-in desk kept glancing at me. Am I doing something that's suspicious, I wondered. I tried to look oh, so normal --which is how I thought I was looking all along. She kept looking my way. When we finally made eye contact, she motioned me to the desk. What the hell, I wondered.

I walked to the check-in desk and she asked me if I was flying alone. "Yes," I answered. "Would you mind changing seats?" she asked. "Not at all," I answered. I assumed she was trying to seat people together who knew each other or something.

She smiled and said, "We need some more weight in first class."

That's how I ended up flying first class from NOLA to NYC.

Thank you, New Orleans for reminding me that things were happening the way they were meant to be. I wish I could return the favor. All I can do is continue to hold you close in my thoughts and prayers. After I text-ed my kids that I'd been bumped -- to first class, they responed that when something's meant to be, you just can't stop it.

Now....on to the Big Apple.

3 Comments:

Blogger HAR said...

Love this post. Personally, I've never had the pleasure. Hope it was a great flight.

5:22 PM

 
Blogger east village idiot said...

Teachers College! Lady - I work one block away!

Glad you were up there and hope you had a great time.

6:26 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

har....it was a great flight. It certainly helped me relax and I had one of those single seats (no seatmate) and....I was on the side of the plane that had the good view of Manhattan as we flew in to land. :)

Oh, nooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo, evi. Don't tell me that! I was so engulfed starting from day one I just didn't think -- except what needed to be done next.... I did go armed with the little black NFT book and I can tell you it got a workout. Thanks!

I may, just may, be headed back up in a few months for a conference and a *possible* job interview. If that happens you'll be the first to know. Now....excuse me cause I'm going to go kick my own butt for five minutes.

11:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home