Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, March 06, 2008

ummmm......

This cabin in the mountains thing? Might be a problem. The more I look, the more I realize I don't like cabin decor. I can do without pine (or some kind of wood) walls and antler chandeliers. They're charming in their own way. I just don't want to live with them.

Nor do I want to have to drive on icy roads to get places. Nor do I want a scary driveway.

I guess I'll have to rethink this whole thing. I like the views in the mountains and I like the idea of real seasons. But....

After today's search I think I have a better idea of what I do want. I want a big open airy space. Clean -- no clutter. I'd like poured concrete floors (maybe with some sort of design here and there, with area rugs for color. I'd like a view -- but it doesn't have to be mountains. Lights would do just fine. Or just buildings. I'd love a loft.

First choice would be living somewhere so I could walk to most places -- coffee shops, book stores, movies, everyday shopping. I don't need green space, but I'd like to have some sort of outdoors space -- a balcony would do. I guess my time spent surfing today wasn't wasted because at least I'm able to start a list now of what I'm looking for. J. would like the beach -- even tho we'd have to sell everything we own and still have a rather large mortgage to get there. And....we'd have to down-size at that. Doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention the insurance. !!

One would think my desires would limit me to big city life, but I'm not so sure. I've heard that we are going back to a life style similar to pre-WWII. One where you could walk more places. And even in my part of the world -- which is not a fore-runner when it comes to change -- you can actually buy today a home or condo in a multi-use development. My city has one and others are being constructed. The Wharf in Gulf Shores is another. These places are like small towns (I imagine). You can buy a condo over businesses or an actual home on the out skirts of the development -- but still within walking and biking distance. There are many businesses, theaters, libraries, and schools and medical offices are supposedly coming. You would still have to drive to town for your big shopping or a hospital and things like that. But that's not really a problem because you're still living in the city or town.

Off to rethink this. Maybe my wants are actually lining up with what's happening? How kewl would that be....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home