Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

This is where I wish I were today......



I wish I had my feet in the cool Gulf Shores surf. Then I'd have a tomato sandwich for lunch made with fresh, juicy (lightly salted, heavily peppered) tomatoes from Burris -- on thick slices of their homemade yeast bread with plenty of BAMA mayonaisse. Then I'd just sit on the beach or by the pool reading a good book or maybe a visit to the Orange Beach Art Center (that's it in the picture above -- and below). By then it would be time for a late afternoon/early evening vist to the FloraBama for a tackiness fix -- and a drink or two. Then a good seafood meal with some funky beach music being played in the background. Ah, heaven!

Don't ya love this little house. It was one of the first hotels in Gulf Shores and it gives a glimpse of what it was like to spend time at the beach long ago. I took these pictures when we were down there last Christmas -- I really like the wreaths. That's where I bought my Fort Mogan Christmas tree. There were many other things I wanted but....didn't want to pay the asking price for at that time. Like the Katrina picture frmaes. A former boat captain makes picture frames from Katrina debris and they are lovely. Isn't that odd how you can say something's lovely when it's rooted in a disaster? Maybe I can bring myself to buy one next time we're down there.



But, instead of sitting on the beach I'm sitting in my own home. I can sit outside and look at the lake. That's something. But....not the beach. And after yesterday's visit to the dentist for a cleaning it looks as if I have a summer's worth of dental appointments waiting for me. I have awful teeth. The dentist agrees. He said it's just that way for some people -- like his own mom. Oh, well, they won't have to worry about paying the office rent this summer with all the work they'll be doing on me. We actually have dental insurance but I'm not expecting it to pay that much. Isn't that always the way?

J's in Alabama working on that house and talking to realtors. It's a horrible time to try and sell a house but we'll see what happens. I can't help but wonder if he waited til now because of that very fact. Who knows. It's too hot to think about it.

After the dentist yesterday I finally went by Hobby Lobby and found some frames I've been looking for and a shadow box for the sand dollars and starfish we found while beach walking. They look good. I was one pin short for the sand dollar so I tried scotch tape but that didn't work so well. I'll have to do something about that.

McCain's in town. That's odd because nobody feels the need to come down here. (Remberber Katrina?) Moving right along.... We're wondering if he's going to steal our governor away for his VP. Probably not. But that's one of the reasons I voted for Jindal -- people with power are interested in him. So, my thinkin' is, if these powerful people want Jindal to look good, wouldn't helping Louisiana look good be in their interest? That may not be logical thinking but...you've got to look for hope where ever you can find it. Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home