Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mexican food & 100 things about me....



That's a pic from dallas tortillas, but the yummy food I just finished looked similar. I wish I'd thought to take my own picture but I was too much of a pig too hungry to wait.

It was good food but actually getting it was about as fun as eating it. You see....my sociable hubby, J, struck up a friendship with a visiting Mexican engineer last summer while I was in NYC -- the Mexican engineer's wife was still home in Mexico so he and J spent some time together. This engineer took J to a Mexican restaurant not far from my house saying it had the most authentic Mexican food he'd found in BR. So, since J's been mentioning all weekend that he'd like some Mexican food we decided to order a couple of to-go meals from that restaurant.

We didn't have a take out menu so we decided to drive there, look at a menu, place our order and walk to the new butcher shop and have a look. (The butcher shop is rumored to serve some very good plate lunches.)

So....away we went. We get to the restaurant and I can't tell you how different it is inside. It's in a regular strip shopping center -- one I've been to many times. I've even been inside this particular restaurant when it was a different restaurant, but I can't tell you how different it was inside. The music, the smells, the people, the whole atmosphere. First of all I couldn't believe so many Mexicans live in my part of town. I never see them -- except on my rare Wal*Mart visits. Where are they during the day?

Second, it was fun placing our order. The menus were in Spanish and English except the Spanish words were first so....I entirely missed the English words. I couldn't figure out what came with the dinners until I heard J reading it out. I asked him where he saw all this and he pointed to the English printed underneath the Spanish. I felt foolish (even tho no one knew what I was going through).

Then, as were placing our order we asked the order taker/cashier some questions. He spoke pretty good English (much better than I speak Spanish) and there were only a couple of times he had to stop and think. But, here's the kicker, even tho I understood everything he said, J would repeat it to me like I hadn't been able to understand. I got tickled and the cashier did, too. As J would repeat to me whatever the cashier had said, the cashier and I would look at each other and share the laugh between us. J finally caught on.

Anyway....the food was good. A little different from what we're used to but that's why we went there. The only thing I'm worried about now is that I ate most of the two tomato slices. I didn't think anything of it until J said he wondered if we should eat the tomatoes. Merde! Too late for me. I didn't finish the half slice I had left (even tho I ate the salsa) and J ate all his tomato -- after putting the anxiety on me. So, if I'm not around for a few days you might know why.

I'm working on the 100 things about me post. I hope to have it ready by some time tomorrow. It's harder than I thought.

1 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

It sounds great.

4:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home