Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Sunday, August 31, 2008

What a difference three years makes....

Our interstates are (so far) not clogged with cars just sitting, waiting to move. I understand that roads heading north and east are pretty much full-up, which makes sense because if the storm does turn it'll be toward the west so why would anyone want to head west (unless you have a free place to stay)? Last night we were wondering why contraflow is always west. I'm sure there are explainations -- I just don't know why.

We're staying. I tried to talk J into heading to sweet home Alabama but....it didn't work. Oh, well. (BTW: LSU & BAMA -- both were winners yesterday and looked pretty dang good!) But....back to the situation at hand. I think we're about as ready as we can be. (I do wish I had thought to buy PopTarts, tho....) We have a generator and gas. If you are passing through Baton Rouge (or most of Louisiana) be aware that we have little or no regular gasoline left -- premium only. So, there's that.

Storm impact should start tomorrow so tonight I think I'll boil some eggs and make tuna salad. I just don't want to think about it for a while. One good thing -- they don't think Gustav will grow to a 5. That's good. One of the bad things about Katrina was that when she was a 5 in the gulf, this huge wall of water built up and didn't diminish when she hit. So, even tho she hit as less than a 5, the water was still there. And that's the really bad, bad part. The water. Remember: hide from wind, run from water.

It is reassuring to hear alllll the comercials with State Farm, AllState, Demco, Entergy, Cox -- basically all the services -- reassuring us they will be here to help. Once the power's back on. Those power guys are veeerrrry important in times like these.

So, all in all, I'm proud of us this time around. Lots of people left early. Crews have been trimming trees all over town. Lots of generators being bought. Shrimp boats being towed inland. Three years ago Rita hit Louisiana's west coast shortly after Katrina hit our east coast and so many shrimpers were wiped out. Their story hasn't really been told. So many stories from Mississippi and Louisiana after Katrina and Rita haven't been told because of the impact of Katrina on New Orleans. A city wiped out pretty much eclipses other things.

We learned. This time around we're better prepared. I pray it shows on the other side of the storm.

It's a beautiful day today. Blue skies. A few fluffy white clouds. Hot. Humid. Just don't look at the Gulf....

1 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

I just returned from a long vacation up on Cape Cod where I was following news of the storm. The NY times made it seem like NOLA is well prepared..but frankly I trust your opinion over the media. Please be safe.

3:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home