Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, February 21, 2008

A blah day....so far



It's grey and rainy outside -- also pushing 70 degrees and h-u-m-i-d. Yep. Won't be long till summer. Our daily highs are inching up to the 70's and our lows are hugging the 50's and 60's. I've loved these chilly days we've had this winter. I could open the curtains and let the sun shine in. This is so nice because summers around here require layers of window coverings to try and keep the sun out. I'm in a grey mood befitting the weather.

Off-track ? here: Is there really a difference in grey and gray? I won't even go into judg(e)ment and judgment.

Warning! Loads of b*tchin' to follow....

I spent a good hunk of time this morning trying my best to track down a package the USPS has supposedly delivered. Their site says my package made it from somewhere in New York all the way to south Louisiana in 1 1/2 days. (Hard for me to believe.) And....the site says it was delivered at 10:50 am. (Now I'm here to tell you, if our mail gets here before seven pm you'd see an impromptu neighborhood parade.) So....we'll see what happens. The mail service around these parts is close to what I hear it's like in some third-world countries -- drop your letter in the box, cross yourself, say a prayer that it arrives at its proper location.

And now let's go to the kids. Here's where my faith in the law of averages is strengthened almost daily. When you have four semi-adult children (as I do), you can bet that there will rarely be a day where they will all be problem free at once. Take it to the bank. Not going to happen. Now that son #1 is calling regularly so we can lay our heads on our pillows at night not dreading the nightmares that come when we don't know where or how he is, the other two boys are acting up in ways that call for a mommy-intervention. FYI I try and handle most things that I define as *possible-problems-in-the-making* before bringing J. into the picture. You might think that's not correct, but you haven't lived with this man for a l-o-n-g lifetime. I have. And if there's one thing I've learned it's that one thing he's good at is making any problem much larger. So I have to tread lightly when bringing him in. (I think he does that so I'll do just what I do. Handle most things and leave him the he** alone.)

So....from several states away I talk to my dear sons saying things like: aren't you ashamed that i am saying these things to you at your age? am i going to have to come up there? (that one scares the heck out of them) keep going this way and you'll be back home! (that one scares the heck out of me. even tho i love them lots.) ....You get the point. I wish they did.

Now. Even tho I'm several states away I know what happens. I can just see it. They get off the phone with me and start punching each other in the arm saying things like: see what you did? *I* didn't do it, you did. now she's gonna tell dad. wanna go play (fill-in-the-blank with an online game)? yeah.

Do you think they think and problem solve while playing those games? Or do they just get lost from their problems? Can you see one of my problems? Eternal optimism. Sometimes that's all I have to hold on to.

Well, I could go on (and on and on and....). But I won't. I think I'll mosey over to my special cabinet and pour a dallop of Cask&Cream Chocolate Temptation into my coffee to brighten my outlook on this dreary day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home