Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The dog from foley......



My daughter called and asked me where I got the picture holder I gave one of her roommates for pictures of her beloved cockers. It's cute -- not exactly like the one in the picture above this post, but sort of, kind of like it. I found it in Foley, AL, in a little shop owned by a Frenchman. J. and I were draw into the shop by the zydeco music blaring from the open front door. Once inside we were intrigued by the owner -- a small Frenchman running back and forth while mumbling in French (I guess). He seemed so obsessed with what he was doing. So busy. Then, all at once, he stopped. Just stopped. He assumed the waltz position (his arms around a ghostly partner), and glided up to me while singing something in French (I guess).

As usual, I stood there like a dofus. I don't react well in situations like that. J. loved it. There were others in the shop. Looking. Gawking. I started saying something from my fifth-grade French lessons (since I remember nothing from high school French except verb conjugation). He chuckled and danced away. WTF! Anywho, once he was gone I finished looking through the shop. Beautiful linens.

While I was at the register paying for a couple of things, I saw the dog picture holders. I guess it's true about the French and their dogs because several of the picture holders held pictures of dogs -- the owner's dog, the clerks' dogs -- with names written in lovely script. I thought it would be a good gift for the roommate I knew would be spending a couple of day with us at the coast. (It was last Christmas.)

When the time came, the roommate opened her gift. Seemed to like it. Thanked me. And that was that. Until, my daughter (leave it to her) laughing, loudly asked, "What is that?" We looked and....there on that cute little doggie were these rather large balls (testicles for those of you insisting upon correct terminology) hanging down. Don't know how I'd missed them. All I could say was....Ohhhhh la la! Those French.

It seems the picture holder now sits on roommate's desk at work and some of her co-workers want one. I'm sure they just want to display pictures of their own dogs. !!

So, the dog from Foley (or at least a couple of his attributes) is making an impact in Research Triangle Park, NC. Was that why the French shop owner was laughing? Did he somehow know? Could he be psychic? Ohhhhh la la.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home