Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Friday, March 14, 2008

The free margarita......



Last night I met a friend for supper and catch-up time. Both were good. But....the neatest thing happened. To me. As we sipped our margaritas and studied the menus, the server placed the requisite tortilla chips and dips on the table -- red and green salsas and an oval plate with something cheesy in it. As he placed the oval dish down he said what you've probably heard a million times: don't touch the plate. it's hot.

Well, if you're anything like me, the first thing you want to do is gingerly touch the plate. I don't know why this is. I believe it when they say the plate's hot. Maybe it's human nature? Anywho....(I didn't pay much attention to this at the time but..) the server stood there tapping the toe of his shoe.

It was only as I was reaching out to touch the stupid plate that I became fully aware of the server. I looked at him looking at me. His head was back and he was looking down his nose at me, gently shaking his head with a knowing smile on his face. I raised my eyebrows. He shrugged his shoulders. And I quickly touched the frickin' plate. That's when it happened.

All of a sudden a zillion (or so it seemed at the time) servers and other staff were standing around our table singing (to the tune of Happy Birthday): a free margarita for you, a free margarita for you, you touched the dish, you burned your hand, a free margarita for you. (Those are as close as I can come to the actual lyrics -- since I was so stunned.) I learned that every hour the first person to touch a hot plate (intentionally) won a free drink.

Later that night I realized that it was validation of my trying to live my life more intentionally. Okay....maybe that's a stretch, but....if you believe that there are no coincidences and that everything that happens to you is for a purpose -- you could see it that way. Couldn't you?

....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home