Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Friday, March 28, 2008

When you buy something new......



or receive a gift, do you tear into it right away or savor knowing it's waiting for you to relax and really enjoy leisurely opening and admiring it? My daughter (A.) likes to open her presents as soon as she sees (or hears about) them --even if the occasion for which she's to receive them is days or weeks away. And....when she buys something for someone else she wants them to open it as soon as she gives it to them -- even if the occasion for which she bought the gift is days or weeks away. I guess you could say she doesn't do delayed gratification well. Her dad's the same way. That's one of the ways that we are different. I like to wait until nothing's pressing and I can be fully there -- if you know what I mean.

Yesterday when UPS delivered my new coffeemaker I thought about that difference as I was trying to find a place for the box where J. wouldn't see it, ask what it was, and then ask why I hadn't opened it and if I wanted him to open it for me. I wasn't ready to open it last night. I was tired and didn't feel like washing it and reading the instructions. And....I had used my coffee press yesterday and since it makes good coffee I was in no hurry.

Well, the box is still waiting and I'm finally ready to tear it open. I'll let you know if the coffee's as good as others say....

2 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

As I've gotten older I feel the same way you do...it's nice to be fully there when you open a gift...we get so few of them!

3:14 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Oh, I can't wait. I have to open it and appreciate it. The gesture. The joy of it all.

6:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home