Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Saturday, March 15, 2008

After the storm......



I love art (and artists). That's one of the reasons I fell in love with J. During our early getting to know each other period -- and for the first few years of our marriage, he was an artist. I never expected (nor did he I imagine) that in order to feed, clothe, and shelter a growing family he would end up in the engineering field.

Katrina did a job on many artists in the Gulf Coast. So very many lost their homes, studios, equipment -- everything. It's taking some longer than others, but more and more of the Gulf Coast artists are working again. And I'm so glad. I keep happening upon such beautiful and touching items. I've always felt artists (if they chose to accept it) had a responsibility to civilization. When times are bad, when humans are repressed, it's the artists who can tell the stories so they won't be forgotten. When I was student teaching I had the privilege to experience what was then called unit studies. Even though I was teaching English, I also taught history through literature. That experience deepened my views of artists and what they could contribute. I know some art is for art's sake -- for beauty. And that's fine. It's the other facet that interests me.

A friend of the Katrina Collection artist put it this way:

"Shortly after the hurricane, a friend told me that it was the responsibility of artists to begin creating as soon as possible. It was our job, she said, to help us all understand what had happened to our lives. I don’t know if my work can do that for anyone else. What I do know is that each of us, in our own unique fashion, has to find a way to believe again, to dare hope for our future."

Lori Gordon
October 2005

A couple of nights ago one of our local tv channels did a spot on Katrina Bowls. They are beautiful and I can't wait to search this artist out and purchase one. During Christmas at the coast I saw Katrina picture frames crafted out of Katrina debris by a tug boat captain. I wanted one so badly, but they were out of reach budget wise at the time. I want one of those, too -- later.

The following links give a taste of what's going on in the art world down this way. Actually just a nibble, but....



click here for the Katrina Collection


Katrina Bowls

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home