Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Monday, April 07, 2008

Finding Waldo!



Yesterday when J. asked what I wanted to eat I almost blurted out "Ollie's!" While in NYC last summer I discovered Ollie's Noodle Shop on Broadway and fell in love with their chicken and broccoli. It was what I had for my last meal before coming home -- picked up on my way back to the apartment from mailing home my last batch of books at UPS.

I managed to find some pretty good food during my time in the city. On Fridays a group of us would try and traipse to a restaurant chosen by a NYer who lived for years in the Village (I think it was) but had recently moved to New Jersey to garden. I found that odd, but....to each his own. Can you garden in New Jersey? He was originally from TX so maybe that explains it?? He made some good choices (although we did have to soon put him on our budgets). I never made it to Harlem for soul food. A classmate (also living and teaching in New Jersey for years but originally from south Alabama -- what a small world) told me, in her opinion, that the food wasn't anything like what we consider soul food down in these parts. She said on her first trip to one of the best known soul food restaurants (I can't remember the name, I think it starts with an 'S') her excited friends would ask her after every bite, "Doesn't it taste just like home?"

So the facts that I was on a strict budget and severely time-limited (because there was always three papers to be written and hundreds of pages to be read -- not to mention lesson plans to be created) meant I had to make the most of what time I had to grab something to eat. I have nothing exciting to report. But, if you find yourself in the Amsterdam/Morningside Drive area near Teachers College (and money restricted) I can vouch for the Amsterdam Cafe, the hummus and the egg salad at the Apple Tree, and the little restaurant (whose name I can't remember) next door to the Apple Tree.

And, yes. That's my class picture. I guess you're never too old? Can you find me? (J. said it took him forever!) Not that we're standing in rows, but (as you're looking at the picture) I'm roughly in third row on the left. Need more hints? ;) Find the Oriental guy with glasses in the blue shirt (that's Phil who was in charge of the CEP where we did our student teaching. I wouldn't want his job.) I'm the one in the white tank top standing just over his shoulder. The gal behind his other shoulder? The gal with the navy shirt that has a hint of orange where it buttons? That's the gal from Alabama. Unfortunately She's a fan of that other university in Alabama. The one whose name doesn't cross my lips.

She and I would greet each other with "Roll Tide!" (from me, of course!) and "War Eagle!" from her (poor soul!) Come to think of it, she was one of the last ones I said goodbye to in NYC -- or rather said "Roll Tide!" to (and heard the "War Eagle!" from). Disney's right. It is a small world.

2 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

I LOVE this post. Of course I know Ollie's. My son demands that I take him there for dumplings everytime I must drag him up to work during one of his days off! Did you ever go to the Broadway Ole cafe around the corner from TC?

I usually grab lunch in the God Box - the nickname for the Columbia Univ. Interchurch building on Clarement. They have a nice and cheap cafeteria in the basement where you can get breakfast and lunch without going broke.

Wow. I just can't believe you were living just a few blocks away from where I work. And I agree with you. I wouldn't bother with soul food up here - just stick to the ethnic food, pizza or diner food you can't get down there...although you do live in the food capital of the country!

4:32 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

Some of us would grab a quick lunch (or drink) at a couple of the cafes on Broadway, but I can't remember the names so I'm not sure about Broadway Ole. I wish I'd known about the God Box (I love the name). We'd sometimes go to the dungeon of TC where their cafeteria is.

I'm coming back. Don't know when, but I'm coming back. And when I do I'd love to meet up with a couple of my online friends. :)

8:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home