Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Cornbread and vegetables......

Today, after sitting (and sitting and sitting and....) in a chair at the beauty salon, waiting for the color to work its magic, I stopped by the farmer's market.

*A short aside. I b*tch about sitting around at the salon waiting for the processes to work but, not only am I very grateful for the magic solutions available that make grey go poof, but I always enjoy good conversation. It's fun going in and catching up with everyone. Funny how connections develop in places like that.

Now, back to the fruit and vegetables. I love going to farmer's markets -- all the variety and choices. I loaded up on vegetables: crowder peas, field peas, southwestern corn, squash, bell peppers, egg plant, and some grapes. And a bottle of fig syrup -- never had it before so couldn't pass it up. Then I lugged everything home to wash it (a task I hate). So supper will be super simple -- a pot of crowder peas, squash sauteed with garlic and onions, our very own banana peppers stuffed with the Spanish rice I'd made earlier in the week and then smothered with Prego sauce and melted cheese, and a pan of cornbread. Oh, and sliced tomatoes (also our very own). I'm so proud of our tomatoes and peppers. Smile! Although, with all the deluges we've been having I'm afraid they won't last through the summer.

Tomorrow I'm going to cook some of the corn, warm the peas, and make a Tomato Pie. Quick and simple. J wants steaks and brats this weekend. I picked up some potatoes along with some bread from Lafayette (it's so good! I had to break off some to munch on as I drove home). A Weight Watcher's Jello pie and we're set.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Thanks for your comment about teens and parenting. I hope it never gets so bad over here that we lose the relationship we once had. I can't imagine that, but know it might be the reality.

So, how do you make your tomato pie? Could you e-mail the recipe? I'd really appreciate it.

11:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home