Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Not really worth a post, but....



Not much going on around here. It's getting hotter by the day. We haven't had the new windows installed yet. :) :) :) :) (ask me if i care!)

The picture above? That's the building Mark Twain called the ugliest building on the Mississippi. That was my view a couple of weeks ago as I sat listening to Bobby Blue Bland (79 yo and still going pretty strong),as the sun set over the Mississippi River. I wanted to get a picture of the sunset over the river and the bridge but it didn't work out. Oh, well. Take my work for it -- it was nice.

Here are some oddities about Baton Rouge: We have the old state capitol (the one in the picture), and the new state capitol. We have the old Mississippi river bridge, and the new Mississippi river bridge. We also refer to things as being located in....the old Sears building, the old Maison Blanche, the old this and the old that. It's interesting how cities work. Makes it hard for outsiders and newcomers to learn their way around. Oh...lest I forget. We now also have the old Alex Box stadium where our very own Tigers used to play baseball, but, as of this year, they compete in the new Alex Box stadium. I hear it's nice but....I don't do baseball. Too easy to get hit by errant balls (not to mention the heat).

Last Monday I started taking some online courses from Virtual University. Son #3 and I used them when we were homeschooling. I'm taking courses on: Numerology, Reincarnation, Meditation (which I've never been able to still my mind long enough to do), and the Bhagavad Gita. I'm enjoying all the reading but, I must admit that I skim much of the material to find general ideas that make sense to me. One idea that I've really been impressed with, and plan on trying to put into action is this -- act, with no attachment to, or expectation of, outcome. (Now, those are my words so I hope I'm not distorting the Gita's meaning.)

The idea is not a new one to me, but it is one that I am going to practice more in my life. I'm one who thinks they must do everything well and not disappoint anyone. Before doing anything, I put all these expectations on myself. I'm going to try and not do that anymore. Maybe then I'll be more relaxed and able to meditate? We'll see.

Does anyone else have a Kindle? If so, have you accessorized it or is it still nekkid? Have you named it? When I broke down and bought my Kindle, I never thought about things like that. I just wanted to read. Well....I've been introduced to all these lovely (and pricey!) cases, skins, bags.... So far, I've held off taking the accessory plung (actually, I lie -- last night I ordered a Borsa Bella travel bag, and there's a beautiful Oberon cover I covet), and....I have realized that there are some online sites that I need to stay away from, far, far, away. And naming electronic toys!!?? Never! But....alas, meet Gizmo, my very own Kindle, sitting here anxiously awaiting her/his new BB travel bag. (So sad!)

Okay, I've gone on and on about nothing (which is not unusual), so I'll close now. Oh! One last thing. If you're looking for a good book, check out The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I'm reading it now and find it charming and informative. Now, I know there could be situations where it has to be, but....in general, how could anyone want to live with the effects of war? Try surviving a hurricane and you'll get a slight taste of what it's probably like. Not fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home