Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

There is a price to pay for a view worth having....

(Alternate title: The problem with a room full of windows)

Today started well. Up early and busy with mundane stuff that took way too much time and tired me out, but needed doing -- and felt good having it done. Then, I decided I had earned a rest....and a glass of wine to sip while spending time with my Kindle. So, glass of wine in hand, I settled in a chair in front of all the new windows and turned on my Kindle. As I reached for my glass I glanced at the lake and....there was a boat with two fishermen floating by. They waved. I waved back (trying to recall exactly what prior motions of mine they'd been privy to). It's a breezy, cool(ish) day, so the open windows offered a clear view into the room.

They floated on by (finally), and I returned to my book (and my wine), and then, not too long afterwards, I started hearing male voices faintly in the background. I convinced myself that the sounds were coming from the New Age music channel I had playing on the tv. But....it wasn't. It was my neighbor and the AT&T repairman traipsing through my backyard. Actually, they were kind of slinking along the fence dividing our yards looking for the phone line or box or something. We notice each other about the same time. They wave. I wave. Neighbor comes to the windows to tell me he likes the patio. By then, I can't concentrate on reading so I try to sneak ease into another room. Movement must catch repairman's eye and he waves (or smiles) a couple more times before I can make my escape.

By then I start to realize that living in this house is like living in a fishbowl. Truly. That fact will go a ways in consoling me this summer when the shades are lowered on the windows to (try to) keep the sun out.

A nice view comes with a price. ....Trust me on this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

That is too close for comfort! Hopefully you'll have more privacy than this in the future. Go away fishermen and backyard visitors.

3:52 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Eeegads!

8:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home