Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Happy, Happy Birthday to son #3......



How the time flies! Son #3 always wore hats, helmets, pots, pan....you name it, on his head. We got used to it. When his oldest brother was going through Jump School during Airborne training son #3 routinely decorated his own face with his version of war paint -- my makeup (until I put it out of his reach), toothpaste, Magic Markers (his school was amused with the faint outlines that remained on his face for a few days -- I wasn't).




Above you can see how it all started. Son #1 being a big brother -- sharing his camo paint with his little brother!


Son #3 was fascinated with the military. I thought going to Fort Benning and witnessing his brother jumping out of a frickin' airplane would cure him. It didn't. I hoped hearing the stories of guys puking in their helmets before jumping, or freezing up and being pushed out would cure him. It didn't. It so happened that his older brother knew him better than I did. All it took was hearing that if he joined the Army he'd have to eat his veggies. That was it. The days of him sleeping in full combat gear were over.

After 9/11 the obsession returned. He said it wasn't fair to leave the fight to others. He felt a responsibility to do something. He wasn't old enough to join but he went to see a Marine recruiter anyway. We were blessed in that, for some reason, the recruiter counciled him to stay in school. Even today he toys with the idea of joining up. He's changed his mind about the wisdom of this war we're (or at least our military's) in, but he still feels he should play his part since we're there.

I don't know why those are the thoughts that pop into my mind today. Jumping to the present....I'm loving the man son #3 is becoming. He's smart, kind-hearted, handsome, loyal, and best of all....he makes the best yeast rolls and cheese enchiladas I've tasted. I know his sister and the group he lives with have a fun-filled day planned (he dislikes being the center of attention so he'll hate every minute of it but bear it gracefully) so he'll have a good day. I wish him a lifetime of happy days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that photo!

12:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home