Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Well, today's the day....

A brand, spankin' new sewer line will be laid in my back yard. Thank the good lawd I'll be able to flush without fear. ....Although it's possible that I've been scared for life (or at least for a good long time). I'm not sure when I'll be able to flush confidently again.

And today we'll be switched from Dish Network *back* to Direct TV. Don't ask me why. It's something J. decided. He's never satisfied. He likes to switch things up a lot. The roofers were supposed to be here but that will be Tuesday -- weather permitting. And, also on Tuesday I'm stopping by the dentist to have my top, front teeth shortened. (Anybody want my summer?)

I can't sleep, so while I'm waiting for the Tylenol PM to kick in I thought I'd give a quick update. There's also something else I can't get out of my mind. To put it in context....ever so often the radio will run ads that talk about how the storm's over but some people aren't yet all right. It talks about how some people have worked so hard making sure others were okay that they hadn't taken care of themselves and might be having problems they didn't want to face.

Well....a couple of weeks ago J. and I were at Lowe's looking at washers and dryers. Another couple was in the next aisle looking, too. As I was checking out one particular washer I could feel that this couple had walked over to where we were and they were standing right in back of me. It aggravated me because there was really noone else around and it was as if they had intentionally walked to where I was and were standing there hurring me up. I was wrong to think that.

I moved back so they could look too and the woman asked if I knew anything about that particular washer and dryer. It turned out that they were from Chalmette and had lost everything in Katrina. They had replaced most things but all of a sudden many things they had replaced were breaking down on them. After only two years their computer had died, along with their dryer. As they stood there they looked lost. They didn't seem to have any energy. It was as if they were going through the motions but didn't have a clue what to do.

The lady said that she just couldn't believe how expensive everything was. Then she said that she was beginning to wonder if replacing things agin was worth the trouble. She said there was just the two of them and it was beginning to seem like too much trouble. As she was saying this her husband was gently trying to change the subject. I didn't know what to say. I said something about how difficult it must be and asked if they had children (hoping there was someone around to help them or notice the mental state they were in -- especially the lady). They have children and grandchildren -- who had moved out-of-state after Katrina.

I asked if there was anything I could do. I didn't know what else to say. They both teared up and tried to assure me that they were okay. We left them standing there staring at washers and dryers. I wonder now if I should have offered my phone number or something. There never seemed to be an opening in the conversation to do anything like that because the husband kept steering talk away from their personal situation. Still, I wonder. I keep them in my thoughts and prayers. Things like that make me ashamed to be making so much of my situation.

Well, I think I'll go try and get some sleep -- before allllll the workers start getting here. It's so freakin' hot that they are going to have a hell of a day.

2 Comments:

Blogger east village idiot said...

I don't think people up on the northeast even know that what is still going on with Katrina. There is never anything in the press.why?

5:49 PM

 
Blogger ellesu said...

evi, I don't really know what to say about the lack of coverage about what's going on in New Orleans. I'm not sure myself. From what I understand everything you try to do is like going through college registration -- if you know what I mean. Red tape. Red tape. Red tape.

I guess people don't want to hear about it anymore. It's that way with lots of people around me. I hear so many people saying they don't understand why anyone still needs help -- that with everything that's been offered, if a person still needs a place to live or whatever, it must be that person's fault.

I don't know the answer but I've worked with disadvantaged people for years and they just don't think like many of us who've learned how to dance with the system. They don't have the required skills set and don't know how to acquire it in many cases. Many have real physical and mental problems that are holding them back.

And....I belive that poverty was a generational problem in New Orleans. It's going to take a long time to break that cycle. I wish that instead of turning their noses up because *they aren't like us,* more understanding and compassion could be shown. Seeing as how so many former New Orleanians are so spread out, it would be a hell of a task to bring about the needed understanding. And then, I wonder how many on both sides (those needing the help and those who could help) would have the patience or desire to carry through.

8:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home