Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Scored and stained....

The good news is -- the concrete is scored and stained. The not so good news is -- it's going to need a bit of touch up work because half the floor is lighter than the other half. There is a dividing line right smack dab down the middle of the room.

Here's what I think the problem is: They ran out of concrete during the first pour -- after pouring about half the space. It took about 20 minutes or so to go reload the truck (or whatever they did) and get back to continue pouring. So....we ended up with two different batches of concrete, and....each batch of concrete is different. Also, one half of the room has windows everywhere with sun streaming in (which causes the concrete to dry quickly), while the other half of the room is pretty much in shade. Both of those factors (different batches of concrete, and different drying times) can cause variation.

The concrete hasn't been sealed and waxed yet because concrete-dude wants to wait and do that after the sheetrock's been mudded. The sealing will affect the color but I don't know how much. So, until I talk to concrete-man I don't know if half the floor will need to be restained or if the sealing will do the trick. It does look good though -- even the way it is. I think I could live with it as is, but I'm going to see if it can be tweaked.

J went to a funeral in Memphis today. A cousin his age passed away from a massive aneurysm. I know it's been a hard day for him. I was going with him until his uncle from Alabama called and made arrangements to meet up and visit a family cemetery up that way. And....we didn't know at the time who was scheduled to show up here at home. So, it worked out. J said his cousin's husband passed out last night while standing at her coffin. He said he wanted to go with her. So sad. My grandfather and dad were the same way. My grandmother died suddenly from an aneurysm and it was a shocking to the family. My mom died after years of suffering and it was still a shock to the family. I'm thinking it would be better to go quickly and not bother with the suffering.

Well, before this post turns truly morbid, I think I'll get back to staring at my concrete floor -- wondering if it will even out the more it drys. Ever watched concrete dry?

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

If the concrete looks almost fine now, you'll get used to it. I scratched my daughter's brand new monitor setting it up. I learned to live with it. Still.... No, I've never watched concrete dry. A slow process, I'd say.

5:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home