Little did I know when I started this blog that the title would expand, requiring me to ask this question of so many new situations in my life....

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Scotch and fortune cookies......

That's what my day has been reduced to. I'm trying to loose weight. I'm working my arse off, yet I gaining or maintaining. What's with that? Could it be (gasp!) AGE?!?!

Anywho....late last night as I was planning what I would be having to eat today (umm, the problem might be becoming clearer) I remembered seeing drunks who were nothing but skin and bones. I've taken a likin' to alcohol lately - rum, to be specific....with diet Coke, of course - and decided that today would be a liquid diet. :) Turns out that my decision might have been providetially inspired. By 5:23 am this morning I was tempted to start my drinking quite early.

That's the exact time 'A' first called. She called again at 5:25. She wanted to tell me that she was stuck on the interstate on her way to work. An 18 wheeler had overturned. Odd because two overturned here also this morning. Ummmm.... Anywho, she wanted someone to bitch at and who in the world could she call at that hour of the morning but her mom? In all fairness, I'm sure she would have called her roommate if said roommate had not been on her way to TN on a business trip.

As it played out, she stood on the interstate talking to all the other people also stuck (sooooo many people going to work at that hour of the morning??) until @ 6:30 when the police allowed them to, one at a time, drive the wrong way down the road until the first exit, which just happened to be the exit to her house. She was so pissed by that time that she took it as a sign that the new job wasn't worth it. ....She's very liberal in her interpretation of signs. So she headed home, called her new boss and told him she was reconsidering. Then....she called me and her roommate again. ;)

Horrible mother that I am, I didn't answer the phone. My kids have put me through so much that I turn the phone by my bed off at night. Horrible, I know, but it's the only way I can sleep now. I also have that early morning call telling me of my brother's suicide playing in the back of my mind when I go to sleep. I know exactly where I was standing when I heard the news. But.. that's another story. Suffice it to say that I didn't find out what was going on until later in the day when I finally did answer the phone. I guess that spoils my hope that if you don't answer the phone bad things won't happen....

So when I check the phone log and see the calls from 'A,' I figure out what was most likely going on. Actually, since she didn't call back till the afternoon so I was beginning to think she might have been calling to tell me she was coming here after work to spend the night. But, not so. I wasn't too suprised when she told me she was probably going to quit. ....Hence the providential decision to go with a 'liquid' diet today. I haven't heard her decision for sure, but I think I know. One day this time.

Oh, the scotch hasn't completely satisfied my hunger, so that's where the fortune cookies come in. I just have to keep resisting the Almond Pistachio ice cream in the feezer....

I guess I should say something about the marriage since that's why I started this blog. I told J about 'A' because he - well, he knows his daughter. He was as upset as I was. He decided to email her a letter. His granddad always did that - not email, but written. He asked me if I disagreed with what he said and I said 'no' I didn't. He needs to do what he feels he needs to do. Most of the things he told 'A,' she has told me herself. It's her journey and I have to believe that everything happens for a reason, and it will make sense eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home